Author Topic: From painter to Marmoset Toolbag.  (Read 6688 times)

Greetings!
I painted model in Painter and all looks great.But when I export maps ( PBR GlossSpec ) and aplly this in marmoset toolbag it looks like this is no reflection.

How to export and applying maps correctly?

Hey azzazelb.va,

how did you create the Specular and Glossiness maps inside of Substance Painter?
I am asking because you use the PBR a Spec/Gloss Workflow to export your maps, but using the PBR Metal/Rough workflow to look at the model in Painter.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi , Fabian!
"I am asking because you use the PBR a Spec/Gloss Workflow to export your maps, but using the PBR Metal/Rough workflow to look at the model in Painter."
Hm, I did not even think about it.I just sekect PBR Spec\Gloss preset , when export maps.And then simply applied these maps in Toolbag.

Hey azazelb.va,

can you provide the maps you exported from Substance Painter, please?
That would be really helpful.

Best Regards

Diffuse

Gloss

Spec

Hey azazelb.va,

I think the problem is that the renderer interprets the black Diffuse as full metal but your Specular map is more like a dielectric Material, though.

I have no other ideas left, at the moment. I would assume that the map is not authored correct that way.

Best Regards

Hi azazelb.va,

I just tried your maps in Marmoset, and they work as expected (I.e., I get reflection on the metallic parts):

...and these are the settings (very straight forward):
Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:06:27 pm

Hey mario.baldi,

yes, the map is looking right inside of Toolbag, based on the textures. But I don't get it why it looks that different from Substance Painter.
I tested some substances and when I output Spec/gloss maps, the outcome is the same: The model shading itself doesn't change.

Best Regards

If you want to get almost the same result as Painter, you should use the same HDR image too.
From my experience, usually Painter and Marmoset get similar results, with Marmoset having just a more beautiful render.

It is difficult to understand why azazelb.va is getting different results in his first picture, as he is not getting any reflections in the metallic parts. But, as you can see in the picture I posted, he should actually get them if he set the shader properly.

I think the problem is that the renderer interprets the black Diffuse as full metal but your Specular map is more like a dielectric Material, though.
I'm pretty sure that Marmoset interprets black diffuse properly. Also, the provided Specular map is totally OK, with 0.4% for the black diffuse coat and brighter values for the metal parts (scratches).

Better wait to see if azazelb.va can share his settings before coming to any conclusion.
Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:41:04 pm

Fabian F. , mario.baldi !
Thanks for answer and advices.I will see into my Marmoset.

Now all is well.
I just reinstall Marmoset.

Hey azazelb.va,

it's kinda weird that this solved the problem, but it's great anyway ;)
Have fun making great textures!

Best regards