Author Topic: Substance Painter SPP files huge  (Read 8084 times)

I have been working on a project using 2k maps and have watched in amazement as the SPP file grows enormously. It is currently at 3.22 GB this seems huge considering the actually bitmaps generated are around 300-400MB.

This means I am creating files larger than most AVI's I work on, it seems very excessive. And means I can't share files with you or anyone else reasonably.

Any comments?

Cheers
Mark
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

3GB seems huge indeed. How many texture sets do you have?
Keep in mind that all your bakes are saved in the spp file, which can be pretty huge if you have multiple texture sets and high resolution bakes.

I have a fair amount of IDs in the project which may be the reason but it still seems extreme to me :)

I have the same problem. Huge SPP file. I would like to delete some imported images but I don't know how. Can you tell me more about it ? or for exemple how to delete some baked map I don't use anymore ?
Or maybe is it possible to save the project the old way : in a folder with all resources in it.

You can use the Clean option in the File menu. This will get rid of all unused resources you imported before.

I have a fair amount of IDs in the project which may be the reason but it still seems extreme to me :)
I'd be curious to see the size of a PSD in which you texture all these different elements with all their different channels etc. though  :o
It may be actually close to these 3GB.

3gb is HUGE for something like this... I better check my SPP files to see what is ballooning my files...

Not sure how it relates to the SPP file but exported as PSD files and all maps for the 12 Textures come to 1.72GB so yes big. Sill seems to be over a GB unexplained though.
Is there anyway to examine the contents of the SPP is it some form of Archive I can open, interested to see how it is made up.
Cheers
Mark

Also if you used any stencil or brush during your texturing, they will be embedded in your file, it can make projects pretty big pretty fast depending on the sources you use for your materials.

You can use the Clean option in the File menu. This will get rid of all unused resources you imported before.

Hiya Jeremie, I'm currently trying to do this with textures I no longer need, but it's not working... Even though they're not applied anywhere in the texture set list. Any ideas?

thx

Are you sure these textures are not used somewhere in your layer stack in a fill layer? If you still can't get it to work, could you upload your project on dropbox or something for me to look at?

HIya, the only thing I can think of is that some of the materials where saved as smart materials... I'm not 100% on how those work, but shouldn't they just populate the AO/Curv etc slots using the current texture set?

I was surprised when I saw the projects were hundreds of MB..I didn't realize anything was stored in the saved project, figured a couple hundred kb's at most. I use only to export bitmaps so not a big deal, never the less, was surprised  :o

In times of GitHub ( 100 MB file limit! ) and other cloud services it is not very smart to create only one single HUGE file. Really..  8)
Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:49:32 pm

I too, have some serious problems with spp file size especially, when you like to share it with other workers. I think some kind of compression option should be available. So when you open and save spp file, it can take longer but that's the trade off. I can also zip it, but it is all about easy usability here.