Author Topic: 1.3.1 Re-importing mesh destroys layers?  (Read 1410 times)

When I open my painter file, I can see my assets with all their layers as they should look like. However, after having re-imported some other assets in the scene, all layers in some materials have been destroyed, even though the mesh, material name and UVs were the same.

The material only deletes the layers when I click on it in the TextureSet List...Up to that point, the viewport shows my asset with all the channels' contents. I tried exporting the channels, but the resulting images are empty.

Because I didn't notice this issue until some days later, I didn't save a backup of the scene in its previous state before the re-import.

Why does this happen? Have I lost all that work?

Can you open your project and check if there is any errors/warnings in the log ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Hi Froyok! This is the log when I open the file:

[GPUIssuesCheck] Installed driver for graphics adapter 'NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M' is outdated.
You should update them for a better experience (http://www.geforce.com/drivers).
The currently installed version is 9.18.13.3788.
The recommended minimum version is 9.18.13.4448 (344.48 WHQL).
[Scene 3D] 3D scene successfully loaded
[GenericMaterial] Creation of the shader pbr-metal-rough successful
[GenericMaterial] Program link log:
[GenericMaterial] ------------------
[GenericMaterial] Vertex info
[GenericMaterial] -----------
[GenericMaterial] Fragment info
[GenericMaterial] -------------
[GenericMaterial] 0(
[GenericMaterial] Creation of the shader pbr-metal-rough successful
[GenericMaterial] Program link log:
[GenericMaterial] ------------------
[GenericMaterial] Vertex info
[GenericMaterial] -----------
[GenericMaterial] Fragment info
[GenericMaterial] -------------
[GenericMaterial] 0(

Other than the driver warning, everything looks in white and green. Is the d-driver deleting the textures of the throne? Also, when I click on the throne material and thus SP deletes the layers, no change is visible in the Log. 
Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:49:56 pm

Ok, thank you.
Do you think you could send me the project ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Sure thing, give me 5 minutes and I'll put it in dropbox.

Email sent. If there's any issue in downloading the file, please say so and I'll upload it somewhere else.  :)

Were you able to find the problem, Froyok?

Unfortunately there is no "fix". It's an expected behavior for the moment.

What happens here is that you have probably reloaded you mesh file with updated UVs for the seat, unfortunately we don't preserve what is paint in the 2D when the UV changes, so any manual painting or geometry selection will not be reprojected properly. That's why your mask on this texture break when you switch over it (because we recompute the texture at this moment, not when opening the project).

You should use an ID map instead, this way you will be sure that nothing breaks when updating your UVs. You can also paint a mask in the 3D, this way it will be reprojected properly.
-----------

Oh well, I guess I messed up. Thanks for the explanation and correct workflows, Froyok!