Author Topic: [SOLVED] Real edge detection  (Read 1564 times)

Hi,

I was thought had been given to implementing a node/graph that implements simple full image edge detection (as in highlights the edges in an image and throws the rest of the image away like (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_detection))?

I can think of a couple of uses for this even if it is likely to be quite a slow operation to be used sparingly.

The new edge detect node is great but full on edge detection would be really handy.

Many thanks

EvilNoodle
Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:01:52 pm

Hmm I have just managed to hack together a version of this that can pull the edges out of a black and white mask image which will do for now. Feels like a very untidy hack though. Would still be nice to have a propper edge detection implementation :)

EvilNoodle

Hey,
Did you try the new edge detect node in SD5?

Hey,

Yes I did but its name is misleading. It doesnt detect edges like an edge detection implementation where the outline of an element is highlighted on the basis of discontinuity in colour/contrast values.

I have attached an example. As you can see I now have what I mean by edge detection working but it is a bit hacky and I believe it would be a useful addition as a core node.

EvilNoodle
Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:56:39 pm

Hey EvilNoodle,

mine test file works just fine and detects the edges perfectly.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Yep you are right. No idea why my brain failed and thought it wasnt working. This thread can now be disregarded :)

Thanks for your input!

EvilNoodle

Hey EvilNoodle,

no problem! This can happen to us all. Good to see you find it useful, anyway :)

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Lol very much so :)

Not a total fail anyway because implementing my own solution turned out to be a good exercise in the end.

EvilNoodle

Lol very much so :)

Not a total fail anyway because implementing my own solution turned out to be a good exercise in the end.

EvilNoodle

Not a fail at all.  I haven't been through all the new nodes yet and missed this one. Thanks.