Author Topic: Distance and Edge Detect nodes, how to combine with a stone texture  (Read 13506 times)

Distance and Edge Detect nodes, these are great nodes for making great random textures.

Im trying to make a random stone wall.
I watched the video, no problems with distance and edge detect, though was unable to blend it with my stone texture.

I have the stone texture node so how can i use it for the texture to place on top of the distance edge nodes.

Do you mean you can't connect ?
Try to type on "1" on your keyboard : you seem to be in compact material node so not all the outputs are visible (thus SD does'nt know which one to plug.

Tell me if it was the problem.

Hi Vincent,

Im trying to get the stone texture on the distance node and cannot blend it.
I used multi material blend, got it to work though i get the stone texture across all the stones. I need the texture to be different across all the stones to look like they are are all seperate rocks.

I have attached the sbs file with dependencies.
Please note i have a pic of stone wall which is my reference on how i would like my material to look.

Any help would be greatly apprecated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9atwvojbqd8yax3/AABPq724hgCkC3x2APOqn5EHa?dl=0

Thanks
George
Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:32:44 am

I think I was right in my previous post, but tell if it's what you wanted to do :

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your reply though when i connect the stone node to the distance node i cannot see the stone texture on the distance node.

did you plug a mask in the first input ?

Check this out with a directional warp,
The top row of nodes with distance only and second row with edge detect
i have no idea what im doing lol.

You are the hidden son of vangogh :-)

Your warp is way stronger on the edges you generated...
Diminish it then blend the result with the top one just to see...

Lol,

Looking better blended though nothing like my reference in the first post.

Hi Vince,

Here is my result which im quite happy about, though how to get the joint lines more smoother?
see how you can see the pixels.

An easy way to make it smoother is to plug a blur node (value 1.33) then an histogram scan (pos: 0.5 contrast 0.73)
play with the values to fit your needs

Nice Thanks,

Have to play round with the setting but getting great results.
Here i only added HQ Blur

Really nice :-)

Now you can think about replacing the pure black crack, by something more realistic ;-)

Yes but how to do that?

Im open to suggestions

yoy can use your crack node as a mask to blend 2 types materials