Author Topic: Hard Surface Designs in Subtance Designer  (Read 25594 times)

After no-lifing Designer for the past few months, I am willing to admit that I was dead wrong.

Being a Quixel guy to start, it was all too easy to come to this forum and throw my weight around about how great it was. But I am now eating my own foot.

Quixel HAS NOTHING on Substance.

The learning curve is very steep and i'm still climbing it. I started this thread with a biased view based on lack of experience. But while i've been here i've seen some amazing art, and been able to achieve things with my own work that are just not possible with Quixel SUITE.

So, I'm owning up. Quixel's getting uninstalled, I haven't used it in quite awhile. I wouldn't even give it to a friend at this point.
3D art is magic.

After no-lifing Designer for the past few months, I am willing to admit that I was dead wrong.

Being a Quixel guy to start, it was all too easy to come to this forum and throw my weight around about how great it was. But I am now eating my own foot.

Quixel HAS NOTHING on Substance.

The learning curve is very steep and i'm still climbing it. I started this thread with a biased view based on lack of experience. But while i've been here i've seen some amazing art, and been able to achieve things with my own work that are just not possible with Quixel SUITE.

So, I'm owning up. Quixel's getting uninstalled, I haven't used it in quite awhile. I wouldn't even give it to a friend at this point.

Hi,

Thanks very much : ) We are so glad to hear you are finding substance to be a good tool. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some help understanding the workflow. Feel free to send me a PM anytime.

Also, please make suggestions on areas you feel that Substance is lacking. You can post any suggestions or requests in our User Voice.
https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/257908-substance-designer

Cheers,

wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes,

So far I've found Substance to be great in all areas. It runs smooth and it's a lot of fun to work with. I come across a bug here and there but that's very rare-- it's definitely one of the most solid 3D art tools. Designer and Painter are both well-thought.

Designer has become very easy to work with and I'm starting to investigate some of the more exotic nodes with confidence. I've had to ask a lot of questions and do some research, but my subsars are starting to end up in the 15-18 kb range.

I'm thrilled to have these tools.
3D art is magic.

Thanks Wes,

So far I've found Substance to be great in all areas. It runs smooth and it's a lot of fun to work with. I come across a bug here and there but that's very rare-- it's definitely one of the most solid 3D art tools. Designer and Painter are both well-thought.

Designer has become very easy to work with and I'm starting to investigate some of the more exotic nodes with confidence. I've had to ask a lot of questions and do some research, but my subsars are starting to end up in the 15-18 kb range.

That's really great to hear! Thank you. We greatly appreciate the feedback, so please let us know if you run into issues or have suggestions.

Cheers,

wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks Wes,

Amen   

and Enjoy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Muezli.com with yoghurt and lots of fresh fruits.

I love making these hard-surface materials and want to get better at it. I would like to keep this thread alive, just to see what sorts of cool stuff you guys add to it. I'm constantly surfing for inspiration and there's a lot in these forums.

This is an image I've put together for my package on Unity's asset store. I'm not sure if the Allegorithmic team will like my use of their logo like this.. (if not I'll change it), but I thought it looked really cool so this is the one I submitted. I decided to start with 30 materials in the package to test the market. If all goes well, i'll add to it and build from there. I'm still awaiting approval from the store (or news of what I need to fix/tweak to get it up and running). Since I love making these hard-surface materials and want to get better at it, I'd be adding to the package infinitely.

3D art is magic.

I want to keep this thread alive to learn and share methods for creating procedural hard surface material. I'm sure there are countless methods and shortcuts that would refine the process. Here's one I've learned that has been useful to me as a beginner in SD. (Instead of scoffing, you gurus can share some secrets of yours!!)

You can start with a basic hard-surface pattern, add a blur to it, then expand or shrink it and sharpen it back up with a levels node (see attached images). This creates a rounded rim around the pattern (or inside it) which is awesome for following the contours of an existing hard-surface design with seams or what-have-you. You can cut into each individual pattern with more masking to create some really awesome complimenting linework. I've found blurs and levels are great tools in the arsenal for basic shaping.
3D art is magic.

Really interesting !
Thanks for sharing this !

Neat technique!

What's interesting too is that I've noticed the different kinds of blurs will create different kinds of hard-surface detail. A perfect circle with the standard blur will get sharpened into a rounded square, ect. Neat stuff.
3D art is magic.

Nice to see you keeping this up pawnswizard!  May I ask are you not using the bevel node anymore?

The bevel node has become the core in all my designs at this time. I even use the curvature/shadows/AO off it to drive the color mapping. This is sorta the reverse of a typical workflow where the colors/grayscale is created and then the normal map. I don't think that works as well with these kinds of sbsars. I've also found that a Blur HQ at the end of the core shape (before edge damages and things) can make the details really slick.
I've also stopped using SVG nodes entirely. All the designs are driven by the shape nodes. It results in a lot smoother edges and some really cool transformation options to expose.

It's all about evolution! Really cool texturing tool. Probably my favorite thing atm.
Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:04:24 am
3D art is magic.

Awesome work!

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks a bunch  :)

I would like to see more hard surface patterns that are purely procedural. I think SD's raw shapes can match any bitmap.
3D art is magic.