Warning: filesize(): stat failed for /var/www/html/cache/data_5623d46bacd3679ad118dc5ac3681ab8-SMF-modSettings.php in /var/www/html/Sources/Load.php on line 2808
[SOLVED] Normal & Height-Map Issue / Painter 1.3.3 vs Designer

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Normal & Height-Map Issue / Painter 1.3.3 vs Designer  (Read 1796 times)

I am not sure if this is just a viewport thing.
I create a Substance in Designer and output both "Height & Normal" -Map, in one Substance for comparison.
But sometimes if I switch between "Normal & Height" the viewport show artefacts.

Did I make something wrong, ist the height output to strong?
The download contains substance and painter project.

Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:02:13 pm
Windows 10 / Octane & Marmoset Toolbag / GTX Titan Black 6GB + GTX 970 / Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHZ (6 Core / 12 Threads)

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand what "artifacts" you are talking about. Can you describe them a bit more ? What is your hardware configuration ?
I have also tested your substance and it works fine on my side in Painter 1.3.3.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Sorry for my english! In Substance Designer I create a graph which output both ... normal and height. I open this substance in S.Painter to check which works better .. normal or height map. But it seems that the height output is not correct, which is created with the "normal_to_height" node in Designer.

But at the end I always can dial back the strength of the height map in Substance Painter itself. It seams the height output in my Substance was to strong which cause the artefacts.
Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:00:49 pm
Windows 10 / Octane & Marmoset Toolbag / GTX Titan Black 6GB + GTX 970 / Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHZ (6 Core / 12 Threads)

The normal to height filter is not a 100% accurate converter, it gives you the best possible result, but you can expect a perfect height map from it.
Also it's extremely dependent on the parameters.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

thank you! My intent was to create a future proof substance... because the templates in Designer for Painter does not include a height-map output as it is the standard input in Painter at the moment.