Author Topic: Texture Setlist  (Read 2208 times)

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to ask less questions as I usually enjoy finding the answer for myself (more satisfying that way) but alas, with the last 3 days of searching I've had no luck to finding my answer so I have returned to harass you all! lol :(

My one model is loaded with uv maps, when I open it in Substance painter they are on top of each other even though in C4D they each have their own layer.  I've been hunting down TRYING to figure out how to build Texture Setlist's like I've seen in the tutorials for SP (Head, Body, etc) but for the life of me, I can't find anything.  I've tried various websites, forums, tutorials but I can't find any info to going about doing it.  (Was technically writing this for an hour because I thought I found my answer and proceeded to watch the tutorial and attempt; failed. lol)

While I'm at it, I might as well throw in another question to kill two birds with one stone (another one i've been hunting down but can't seem to find an answer either).  When I export the Texture Mesh's from SP, open my model in C4D, and attempt to bring in the meshs, I only seem to be able to get one to go onto my model, the rest seem to, not exist.  I followed the steps I've seen in tutorials but I'm at a loss. 

Hey mslogan,

Texture Sets in Substance Painter are defined by the Materials assigned to the 3D Obejct.
Substance Painter will automatically detect the different Materials assigned to the Objetcs Faces/Polygons and name the Texture Set after the Material Name inside your 3D Application.

As Substance Painter can't combine Texture Sets during the export on it's own at the time, you need to combine the textures in Photoshop, for instance.
The other option is to assign the Textures without merging them would be to select the Faces inside your 3D Application and assign the Material to the Faces.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Thanks to Fabian it was discovered I didn't know a material needed to be assigned to each layer to create the TextureSet.  What we also discovered is even when that was all done, channels selected, check marks clicked, it still wouldn't export as its intended to do with C4D.

Luckily for me, I had read about a plugin called Rip Tide which, when I exported through it, it created the MaterialSet List as intended.  I do not understand this as I'm a still a huge noob to all things 3D but I'm thrilled that it works now!

Only final question though.  While I'm painting on my model I'm getting, creases? as I paint, I'm not sure whats causing them.  I thought it was the cut's between the UV Maps but there are spots where they are happening in the middle of the map.  I've attached a screenshot.

Looking at my model in the area's that these are are occurring the faces are really close together, small and in large amount, purpose to it was to get the shapes I needed.  Could this be the cause of it?  How would one get around this when dealing with high detailed models?

Try switching your brush alignment from Tangent to Camera when painting in those areas