Author Topic: (Solved) Can't open heightmap in Unity 5  (Read 5677 times)

Hi there,
I don't know if it is a Unity 5 or a Substance Painter problem, but I can't open height maps that are generated via Substance Painter within Unity 5. I can open the image via Window Image viewer, but Unity gives me that error:
"Could not create texture from Assets/Models/Rocks/Materials/Rock_big_02_lo_DefaultMaterial_Height 1.png: File could not be read
UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:projectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty, Boolean)"

If I am opening the map with Paint, and save it, it works. Seems, that Painter is locking the map.

Anybody else have this problem?
Thanks!
Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:21:53 pm

I think I read somewhere that Unity has problem reading 16 bit pngs. Maybe that's the issue. Can you try with another file format ?

I had this issue with greyscale output. export it in rgb and it wont make this error.

hi julinoleum and Cyrille,

thanks so much for your answeres. I tried it with RGB and it worked like charme. Helped me a lot, so thanks again and have a nice weekend!

Best
Ingo

edit: But there seems, that there is also a problem with the Gray Map or am I wrong?
Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:24:56 pm

As far as I can tell, it seems Unity can't read 16 bit png grayscale files . So you need to either save to a 16 bit color png file, or use another 16 bit grayscale format that Unity supports.

Ok, then the challange is at unitys site. Thanks for your answere!