Author Topic: Tif format export in Designer and Painter  (Read 3872 times)

Hi, i have an issue with exporting tiff format, software save it with default alpha channel.
For better understanding, Tiff files can contain layers, and if not saved properly will contain these layers in it. So Painter and Designer save tif files with lonely layer in it. It's important for my workflow, is there any chance it will be fixed in future versions?
Or there are any option where i can turn off saving layers?
Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:01:51 am

Another problem with saving in TIFF is premultiplied alpha on single layer, instead of saving flattened RGB + separate Alpha channel like in images exported to TGA

Hey, want to bump this topic again, not a big deal to fix this, but bug still unnoticed, is someone here on this forums who can do so, or i have to write E-Mail?

for now i have to export my file and then collapse it in photoshop, that's pretty stupid workflow for software that should automate.

For example i combine map with all four channels with RGBA Merge, and in output i got transparent "tif" file with one layer in it.

Please, fix it

Hey Kyuzo,

I'm not quite sure I understood your issue correctly.

Substance Designer has a PSD export which can have layers. Tif or other file formats can not at the moment.
Substance Painter can't output any layers for now.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey, want to bump this topic again, not a big deal to fix this, but bug still unnoticed, is someone here on this forums who can do so, or i have to write E-Mail?

for now i have to export my file and then collapse it in photoshop, that's pretty stupid workflow for software that should automate.

For example i combine map with all four channels with RGBA Merge, and in output i got transparent "tif" file with one layer in it.

Please, fix it

Hi,

I will check on this with the developers about writing alpha channel in tiff.

Currently, its working similar to if you were to save a tiff from Photoshop in that if you were to create  a layer in photoshop and paint with transparency, the transparency would be multiplied into the RGB channels. This is happening in SD because you are using RGBA-Merge. Its merging the Alpha with the RGB. Since Tiff supports transparency in layers, then this is the result you are getting with the Tiff export from Designer. Its not writing to the alpha as the targa format does.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

due to my workflow i need to export files in tif format, but when using RGBA Merge i got transparent file in output, just export file with graph shown in second post, open it in photoshop and see what you got.

More than that, it bake transparency in layer, and there are no Alpha channel in image file
Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:40:55 pm

due to my workflow i need to export files in tif format, but when using RGBA Merge i got transparent file in output, just export file with graph shown in second post, open it in photoshop and see what you got.

More than that, it bake transparency in layer, and there are no Alpha channel in image file

Hi,

I'm getting the same thing where the alpha is merged into the layers and there isn't an alpha channel created. I am discussing this with the developers. We had this as a bug, but it was removed as tiff supports transparency in the layers and its working as expected. However, from Photoshop, you can create an alpha channel in a tiff and it will save, but this is a different workflow. I will check with the devs to see if there is a workaround.

Cheers,

Wes

yes, converter eat it as is, but if someone will need to change something in this file, he will need to ask me to export it in correct form. So right now while autoring textures i export as tif, then export all as tga, move to photoshop and reexport as tif again.
I believe there are just export options in tiff library that should be changed.

yes, converter eat it as is, but if someone will need to change something in this file, he will need to ask me to export it in correct form. So right now while autoring textures i export as tif, then export all as tga, move to photoshop and reexport as tif again.
I believe there are just export options in tiff library that should be changed.

Hi,

Yes, that's what I think as well. The library will need to be updated or a setting changed. I have asked the devs to check into it.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi,

Yes, that's what I think as well. The library will need to be updated or a setting changed. I have asked the devs to check into it.

Cheers,

Wes

The problem still here, any news on a fix?

Anything new on this? We use tiff's with Unity and we can't get transparency or smoothness out because of this issue. We are currently forced to use TGA's.

I have this problem too. It's worse with psds as I want to have fully filled colour layers with layer masks to define the opacity, but it saves them with layer opacity which you cannot recover.

Ideally I'd want full control over the RGB channels and optionally the alpha channel when exporting rather than always saving a single layer with layer opacity and layer masks. That way I can save 24bit tifs without alpha rather than 32bit ones with a fully white alpha channel if I want to.

Hey I sent a reminder to the team to see what we can do

bump
Any news on this topic ? Happened to me yesterday. Its ok in engine , but if someone will try to open tif in Photoshop  - he will get semi transparent single layer with no alpha channel

you can retrieve the alpha channel in PS by going to the Layer menu / layer Mask / From Transparency