Author Topic: mesh preview sphere and rounded box  (Read 4968 times)

hello everyone,
i have a very noob question:
there is a preview mesh sphere in designer and my material is rendering on it properly, without any streching. now as i don't know where is storing all preview meshes in designer i created custom sphere with simple sphere UV projection, but it is streching on top and bottom. can you please help me figure out how to proper UV for the sphere without streching. thanks!
here are some screens from designer and toolbag.

Hey novalexander,

I assume your UVs are wrong. If you unfold a Sphere with Poles at the top and bottom, you won't get a rectangular UV shell.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Fabian,
i tried to UV the sphere by default, but there is still stretching. i don't mind about stretching on poles, but i want to avoid horizontal stretching on tops where vertical lines are start distorting to eraly... so i want everything straight like in designer..

Hey novalexander,

at least there will always be a 'problem' at the end.
You could accept a little bit of UV stretching, or you need to cut the shells into too many parts and you'll end up having a lots of seams.
There is no perfect way unfolding a sphere.
Even in Substance Designer you see those stretched UVs like in you example, when you make the pattern small enough in tiling.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

thank you Fabian,

i dig a little bit more into the problem and there are some workarounds, but they are too complicated and with bitmap transformations/poles retoping and etc, so for the complex work like make a planet look good it's ok, but not the work for just previewing and render materials hehe. for me worked a little but just up the resolution of the sphere and waveness become less visible.