Author Topic: Substance + UE4 workflow  (Read 23996 times)

Hi all. I'm newbie in Substance. Could you explain what exactly textures  (and in which format) I have to export from Substance and how I have to import them into UE4 (some blueprint will be useful)?

Hi shaman4d!

We have a video training series dedicated to UE4 and Substance, links located here:

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=3242.0

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you Josh for your links. And I've seen videos and have the question:
As I understand from videos there are two way to import from Substance to UE4. First one is using .sbar (or something like that) file + Substance plugin. The second one is using bitmap2material + Substance plugin. But is there a way to import directly in UE4 maps exported from Substance Painter without any plugins?

You can simply export Bitmaps out of Designer. Painter exports bitmaps always, at the moment.
You can choose from different export-presets in Painter, even UE4 Export.

There is no need to use the substance plugin, if you are prefering to use Bitmap Textures.
Environment Artist - Twitter

Fabian could you guide me what exactly bitmap textures I have to export from Painter and in which slots in UE4 I have to assign them? Because I had already made it and in UE4 it looks different then in Painter.

Hey shaman,

sure I can try it ;)

First thing you need to do, after you said 'Export all Channels' in Painter (Right-Click in the Viewport), make sure you chose the right export preset. In your case you can use the "Unreal Engine 4 (Packed)" Preset. (First attached image)
It creates the following maps:
- BaseColor + Opacity
- Roughness + Metallic
- Normal
- Emissive

Now we are ready to head over into the Engine.
You import the mesh and texture into the Content Browser.

Now comes the most important part. If you forget to do this, your textures won't look like in Substance Painter/Designer.
You need to tell the Engine, that your Roughness-Map should be interpreted in 'Linear Color Space'. To do this, just double click on the Roughness-Metallic-Map and uncheck the sRGB checkbox. (2nd Attached Screenshot)

After that you can set up your Material. The only thing you need to keep in mind: If you don't change the sRGB-Interpretation in the Engine before setting up the Material and change it afterwards, you need to keep an eye on errors inside the Material. Normally, the Engine imports textures into the Material the way they are set up, but when you change it later the engine leave them 'wrong'.
Change the sampler type to 'Linear Color' for the Roughness map, instead of leaving it 'Color', which is only for sRGB Images.

If you don't do that, you Roughness Map will be interpreted wrong and won't look good. A comparison is attached as the 3rd image.
As you can see: If the roughness is interpreted wrong, you get a really glossy Material.

I hope I could help you.
Environment Artist - Twitter

Fabian, let's god bless you! Thank you a lot, I made it!