Author Topic: Substance painter stand alone version ?  (Read 3119 times)

Hello I saw Today for the first  time a stand alone version of substance painter "portable" as we say I french...  Is it a project for you to develop in That way ? Do we have to use  pirate version and be able to bring it with us ?

Hum, what do you mean by portable? Substance Painter is already a stand-alone package, that run on both Windows and osX.
Also, two things:
1) This forum is for Substance Designer, not Painter
2) I strongly advise against using any kind of piracy, especially when this results hurting one of the few companies (Allegorithmic) that really care about their users.

I guess he means a licence where you can carry your program on e.g. an USB stick and use it on different computers. You can already do that with Painter, you only need to carry your licence key on the USB stick along with the program. The program will install the licence file the first time you run it on a new computer, but it should work.

Hum, what do you mean by portable? Substance Painter is already a stand-alone package, that run on both Windows and osX.
Also, two things:
1) This forum is for Substance Designer, not Painter

Sorry for that i just saw the "feature request" thing

2) I strongly advise against using any kind of piracy, especially when this results hurting one of the few companies (Allegorithmic) that really care about their users.
I never told that piracy was the good thing to do... I bought my substance Indie pack and i was glad to do it.

I guess he means a licence where you can carry your program on e.g. an USB stick and use it on different computers. You can already do that with Painter, you only need to carry your licence key on the USB stick along with the program. The program will install the licence file the first time you run it on a new computer, but it should work.

I agree with that but you have to install it in the "friends computer" with an exe and some people just don't want that... the portable version is not installed on the computer...

I agree with that but you have to install it in the "friends computer" with an exe and some people just don't want that...
It does not copy any executable file on the computer, just the licence file. And you only have to run Painter to do it, not another installation exe.
If your friend does not want *any* file of any sort to be written on his computer, then you probably can't run any program on his computer but the most trivial ones. Practically any slightly complicated program running on a computer will write something somewhere, if only to save its configuration, remember settings, etc.

you still have to install painter on the computer with an exe... no ?

I want to play with substance painter at work at lunch time.
At work we can't install softwares on our desktops (admin rights needed...)
and yesterday i saw someone playing in substance painter without any kind of software installation... It was playing on ram or something i don't know but it worked well...

Sorry if i was misenderstood.

You actually can't use Painter, without installing it. That's the core thing, Cyrille wanted to explain.
To activate it, you just need the license on a USB stick or so.

Are you sure he hadn't installed it? I doubt so.
Environment Artist - Twitter

Quote from: doodtomeylan
you still have to install painter on the computer with an exe... no ?
No. You only need to install the licence file, which is done by Painter when you run it the first time on that computer, and you don't need administrator rights to do so. Be careful though if you own Substance Painter Indie : you should not use it to produce anything for your company, only personal projects. Otherwise you would have to upgrade to Pro, because you company probably earns more than the limit set for Indie.

Quote from: Fabian F.
You actually can't use Painter, without installing it.
As far as I know, yes you can. See above.

Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:39:44 pm