Author Topic: using Substance Painter for an On the Job Training in a company  (Read 1131 times)

I was thinking of buying and using substance painter for my on the job training using the Indie version

What are some of the factors I must know if I can use Substance Painter Indie Version for my OJT?

I was thinking of buying and using substance painter for my on the job training using the Indie version

What are some of the factors I must know if I can use Substance Painter Indie Version for my OJT?

Hi,

We have a tutorial series for using Substance Painter. The series is updated for each new release to encompass the new features. These videos can help get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCyJEDZLLQvusBxDbskFmh9K

The big thing to know about Painter is that its a 3D painting tool designed to create PBR textures. Its ideal if you are needing to create maps for Unity 5 or Unreal Engine 4. Here are some key aspects to note when getting starrted.

1. Currently works in the PBR metal/rough workflow.. Maps can be converted to spec/gloss on export.
2. Meshes are loaded by creating a new project or editing the projection configuration and replacing the mesh.
3. Material IDs assigned to the mesh in a 3D program will be imported as texture sets in Painter. Texture sets each have their own dedicated layer stack. You can copy/past entire stacks from one set to the next. But you can't paint across texture sets.
4. The mesh needs to have UVs. The UVs need to be placed in the 0-1 space. UVs can exist outside of 0-1, but they will mirrored. To work with multiple materials on the mesh, you need to assign material IDs in your 3D program. Painter will split these into texture sets and separate UVs that overlap between materials.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I misread your question compared with Wes.  I thought you were asking about licencing to use your Indie licence at a company you work for.  If so, the Indie licence would allow you to use it working for another company providing you are freelancing (not an employee) to them and do not earn over $100k per year yourself.  If you are an employee of the company you are working for, then the $100k would relate to the company you are working for and likely be licenced to them. 

That's my take on it, but an Allegorithmic employee might have more info.

I misread your question compared with Wes.  I thought you were asking about licencing to use your Indie licence at a company you work for.  If so, the Indie licence would allow you to use it working for another company providing you are freelancing (not an employee) to them and do not earn over $100k per year yourself.  If you are an employee of the company you are working for, then the $100k would relate to the company you are working for and likely be licenced to them. 

That's my take on it, but an Allegorithmic employee might have more info.

Oh, on second read, I think I misunderstood the question : ) @artzfx is correct the licensing information.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja