Author Topic: Imported base colors across multiple materials showing up black?  (Read 1156 times)

importing/applying 4k textures to fill layers on multiple materials, in a project which contains a 4-material model. Only the first material shows up correctly. All subsequent materials show the base color as near-black when textures are added. All materials and textures showed up correctly in the previous version of SP.

I thought it couldn't be my textures since they are all mostly white, so I tried multiple attempts on the model adding textures to the materials in a different order (legs/head/feet, then head/feet/legs, ect.)  Each time, the first material shows up correctly, and the base color on the other 3 show up very dark, nearly black.

Restarted/re-created the project several times. Changed the document resolution to match the texture resolution, no change. Re-installed Substance Painter, no change. I tried reporting the bug but got an error message so I'm posting it here.
Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:32:12 pm
3D art is magic.

The exported base color is also changed to black. The only thing I did was feed the texture into the base color of a fill layer.

This doesn't happen if I only work with 1 material. Any subsequent material ends up this way. :( For the time being I can just work with 1 body part at a time. I'd sure like to know if this is an error on my part/something I can fix right away.
Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:46:31 pm
3D art is magic.

So the files that you exported are also wrong ?
Can you try putting a fill layer at the bottom of the stack of each texture set before exporting your texture (and reusing them) ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

testing for opacity? No, I tried that. I tried putting a white fill layer at the bottom of each stack.

I cycled through the materials in different orders and each time, the first materials I start on shows up correctly. Whether it's the feet, head, legs... Whatever I start on is good. Everything after that isn't. It doesn't matter what order, the first material I start on works perfectly.
3D art is magic.

Here is the same project, restarted. This time I added all textures starting with the feet.

Every subsequent material ends up black.

At one point, when I opened the file, two of the materials managed to show correctly. But as soon as I clicked on the material, it went back to black.
Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:04:44 pm
3D art is magic.

Here is original project file from the previous version of Painter. I loaded it up in 1.5.5 but everything is still showing up just fine. It only happens if I try to rebuild the project.

This is how the object is supposed to look and the exported textures are fine.
Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:19:10 pm
3D art is magic.

Can you send me the project ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Apparently my internet connection is too feeble to append my project. :P I'll keep trying though. Is there an email address I can send it to? I can just use google drive.
3D art is magic.

I just tried switching back to the previous version of Painter and am getting the same result, so this isn't new :P
3D art is magic.

Hey I switched to using .EXR files and everything is working great :D I can continue my project. So I guess it's having an issue with .PNG files (?)
3D art is magic.

I would still be curious to look into your project.
My e-mail is available below my avatar (just on the left). :)
-----------

sure thing, though i'd have to set up the issue. After getting everything to work I deleted all my test projects.

I discovered it's a memory issue with my computer. The maps were taking their sweet time loading up all those 4k textures (32 to be exact...)

Even with EXR, the textures would appear black and take a second to 'pop' into the viewport. I was able to get quality textures though. It looks gorgeous in Unity, which is what I wanted.
Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:43:46 pm
3D art is magic.