Author Topic: Substance Designer 5 announced!  (Read 20927 times)

In the end everything in the Library is coming from a very limited amount of atomic nodes, so any new one is a big deal indeed (also because a specific atomic node will always be waaaay faster than a complex graph).

Can you explain the difference between a 'normal' node and an 'atomic node', please?
As far as I understand: Atomic nodes are those hard coded nodes you can access via the space bar.
Environment Artist - Twitter

Sorry, sometimes I get lost in translation :)
For normal node, I mean every node/graph/substance that is in the Library.
Atomic nodes instead are those hard coded nodes you can access via the space bar, as you said.

some of the new features look excellent - just wondering any news on the following:

higher resolution textures ie 8 or 16k
UDIM support
python integration?

these would really open the door for vfx and we are all eager to get involved!

Oh! My apologies! That's a great deal then!

You should totally have written it's really a 66% off deal (off the 150$ it's going to cost). Would have sounded much better in the announcement post! :D

Yes we agree on it. We are going to make it more clear, as it seems lots of people didn't understand it in this way :)
Head of Product Management

So, I have a couple of questions:
1) Are those new nodes all atomic nodes? Wow!

Yes :)
And to be honest, the Pixel Evaluator node is my favorite one as well. You can just create almost anything you want with it!

2) How does the triplanar node work exactly? Does it use the World Position and Normal maps, or it has actually access to the mesh geometry?

I will let Nicolas Wirrmann, who is the Product Manager and the one who created this filter, answer that question.

3) How many new nodes in the library (based on the new atomic nodes) will be available?
I cannot provide any number yet, as we are still working on them. The triplanar is a filter for example, as well as a bevel node (based on the new Distance atomic node).

4) Assuming that Substance engines out there will need to be updated to work with the new atomic nodes, when Substance Painter will get the ability to use them?
Yes! We are planning to release an update of Painter at the same time, or maximum a few days after, with an update of the engine.
And we will update the integrations (Unity 5, UE4, etc.) in the coming weeks as well.

5) This is an important one for me. Designer's main strenght is the ability to build substances, I get that, but I use it also as a hub for a lot of other stuff. It could compete with Photoshop, if it had at least better vector tools and a text node.
Also, in uservoice these two are the top most voted ideas (strangely enough, proposed by me  :D ):
http://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/257908-substance-designer/filters/top
I think it's important to improve the user interface with better vector (SVG) tools, and I'm a bit sad not seeing them in SD5, as I will still need to rely on Photoshop.

We totally agree with it, and those are 2 of the main features we want to push for 5.x. There are other features we are working on that we didn't announce yet because we feel they are not ready yet, but be sure that 5.x versions will bring lots of new stuffs.
5.0 is just the beginning of a new era :)

Said that, congratulations on this new release guys!
I can't wait to look at the new videos. I'm sure the upgrade will be a no-brainer :)

Thanks!
Head of Product Management

2) How does the triplanar node work exactly? Does it use the World Position and Normal maps, or it has actually access to the mesh geometry?

Indeed, the triplanar filter needs the World Space position and world space normal maps, it works exactly the same way as what is generally done with real time shaders. Nothing in the graph can directly access geometry, we only manage images in the graph.
A prototype using an fxmap already exists, it's very slow. The triplanar filter in SD5 uses the pixel processor, it's the first version, the performances are better than fxmaps but we'll improve them along the 5.x versions.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Hi guys,
   I gotta say very excited about the pixel evaluator.  Not sure what it does yet, but sounds really cool!
I wanted to ask - I think some of you may have seen some of my hand painted attempts in SD.  Would you be able to say if there's anything in this release that might support improvement in that area?
Arvin

Hi guys, to give you a better idea, here is an example of a filter created using the "Pixel Processor" node.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Jaw Dropping :O

LOL... these are awesome.  Rogelio can finally have his cobblestone.  :D

Befor i upgrade my version, i want to see if the annoying bugs are fixed that i have since 4.5, it would be nice to know 2 things.

1. Would there be a beta to test it until the presale is ended?
2. Is there a list with bugfixes to see if the bugs are gone?

Hi guys, to give you a better idea, here is an example of a filter created using the "Pixel Processor" node.

Teasing... :-)

Do you think we can have a screenshot of the parameters ?  ;D

Ahah sure, but I split it in several sub-functions  ;)
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Damn, I just realized what a Pixel Processor does :O
It is indeed similar to how a real-time shader works... Too much power (and joy :D )
Upgrading NOW!!!