Author Topic: Substance Designer 5 announced!  (Read 20926 times)

haha wow really cool!
I like the random imput FX-map  ;D

Omg, i just bought Designer & Painter , It's all news stuff only ?

6 Nodes  + baking improuvenment ?
Yeah + Template & Dependency Manager ?
actually ,have nothing meaningful to say !

Is there a grace period of free upgrade for people who JUST bought licenses of version 4 before the announce?

Is there a grace period of free upgrade for people who JUST bought licenses of version 4 before the announce?

It says if you bought it Jan 1st or later you will get a free upgrade.

Unfortunately for me, I bought it on Dec. 31st. Bad luck for me, I'm hoping customer support may give me a little leeway on that one.

Hello everyone,

I'd like to do the pre-upgrade, but I previously purchased SD via steam.  How would the early upgrade system work?  Just purchase it via the website?  How would this translate?

I really like using it via steam.  It automatically upgrades.  I can use it across machines with no license issues.

Anyway, I'm really excited about 5.

Regards,

Michael

Hello everyone,

I'd like to do the pre-upgrade, but I previously purchased SD via steam.  How would the early upgrade system work?  Just purchase it via the website?  How would this translate?

I really like using it via steam.  It automatically upgrades.  I can use it across machines with no license issues.

Regards,

Michael

On the account page of Allegorithmic's website, you can link your steam account. Just preorder via the website and link your steam account and you are done.
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Michael

On website here , click on Connect your Steam Account button , voila !
Your license will be listed , you can upgrate

Just saying that on mail , it's 50$ & Website 49$
I bought Designer 60$ Dec 18 ; 1+ month later i will give again 50$ , not cool :/
Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:55:12 am
actually ,have nothing meaningful to say !

That can't be right.  It sounds too easy :) [/size] [/size]Appreciate the fast answer.  Ordering now....Michael

Sounds cool but we are currently at 4.61 right? and SD is like 3 or 4 months out of the beta if im not wrong ?
Please don't get me wrong, substance designer and painter are my number one apps when it comes to texturing but such a big jump to V 5.0 because of a few new tools and improvements ? I think it is a bit unfear to charge again in such a quick time, especially when there is no huge change ?, no offense.

What about SP?

Hi Adrian,

I think you are mistaking Substance Designer and Painter: Painter got out of Beta and was released in October, so 5 months ago.
Substance Designer has been launched 5 years ago. We made a major update every year since then. The latest major update, Substance Designer 4, was launched in november 2013, so it makes 16 months of difference between the 2 versions.

Regarding the changes: it's the first time in 5 years that we introduce new nodes in the engine, it's a very big breakthrough which, we believe, justifies an update.
However, we are aware that the explanations of the nodes may not be clear enough, so we are preparing some videos to show the new possibilities they are bringing.

Cheers,
Nicolas
Head of Product Management

The 33% off for upgrades isn't that great either, especially when it's a pre-order time-limited thing. 50% for an upgrade is what's normally expected.

That said, the software isn't that expensive to begin with and the new features look very cool, so I've already upgraded. :)

The upgrade costs 50$ for the Indie (instead of 99$), and 200$ for the Pro (instead of 590$). So it's between 50% and 66% off.

On March 4th, the Indie version will rise at 149$, and the upgrade will be at 75$. So if the regular price of the upgrade is 75$, and we offer it at 50$ during 2 weeks, we are making a 33% off discount on the upgrade :)
Head of Product Management

Oh! My apologies! That's a great deal then!

You should totally have written it's really a 66% off deal (off the 150$ it's going to cost). Would have sounded much better in the announcement post! :D

Just proves I'm a happy camper since I don't pay much attention to what the normal prices are anymore ;)

I'll be honest, when I first saw the new features, I didn't really understand the potential of the new nodes.
But then I started thinking about the Pixel Processor thing... and that thing alone may be worth the upgrade (even though it's difficult to understand how that will work without a video) !!!
I think that you guys need to explain carefully its potential. In the end everything in the Library is coming from a very limited amount of atomic nodes, so any new one is a big deal indeed (also because a specific atomic node will always be waaaay faster than a complex graph).

So, I have a couple of questions:
1) Are those new nodes all atomic nodes? Wow!
2) How does the triplanar node work exactly? Does it use the World Position and Normal maps, or it has actually access to the mesh geometry?
3) How many new nodes in the library (based on the new atomic nodes) will be available?
4) Assuming that Substance engines out there will need to be updated to work with the new atomic nodes, when Substance Painter will get the ability to use them?
5) This is an important one for me. Designer's main strenght is the ability to build substances, I get that, but I use it also as a hub for a lot of other stuff. It could compete with Photoshop, if it had at least better vector tools and a text node.
Also, in uservoice these two are the top most voted ideas (strangely enough, proposed by me  :D ):
http://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/257908-substance-designer/filters/top
I think it's important to improve the user interface with better vector (SVG) tools, and I'm a bit sad not seeing them in SD5, as I will still need to rely on Photoshop.

Said that, congratulations on this new release guys!
I can't wait to look at the new videos. I'm sure the upgrade will be a no-brainer :)
Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:09:39 am