Author Topic: Substance Designer 5 announced!  (Read 21568 times)

So... does the pixel processor support gather/scatter ops? (as in sample this list of arbitrary uv coords and do stuff with the data, or take the value of the pixel currently being processed and do stuff with pixels at this list of other coords)? What about loops and conditionals?

Any chance we'll be able to ditch the nodes and use some kind of programming language at some point?
Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:29:15 pm

@Malo : would it be possible to send me a PM to specify which bugs you are referring to ? I can check their status and keep you informed. Also, note that there will be a bug-fix 4.6.2 release before the release of SD5.

@padamowicz : gather yes, scatter no. No loops yet. Conditionals yes. And yes, I too would like to add text programming for functions, but it can coexist with nodes, no need to ditch graphical programming completely. 
Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:25:20 pm

Ahah sure, but I split it in several sub-functions  ;)

So basically, you plug this function "inside" the pixel processor ?

@padamowicz : gather yes, scatter no. No loops yet. Conditionals yes. And yes, I too would like to add text programming for functions, but it can coexist with nodes, no need to ditch graphical programming completely.
Welp, I didn't really expect scatter, though it would have been nice. And that 'yet' on loops sounds promising :)

And yeah, regarding ditching nodes I meant we, as users, at our option, not that SD should as a whole ditch nodes. Nodes are great. I love them right up until they become so complex that it's hard to understand and debug  :)

Awesome! Looks to be some pretty handy additons in the new release. Looking forward to the new tutorials and having a play :)

@Cyrille Damez
I have send you a PM

This is amazing... I am looking forward to the new baking tools. I can finally bake multiple models and merge the results into one texture... I am glad for that.

Hmm, will the preorder be available on steam? Because I don't want to end up in the situation where I have v4 on steam, v5 on the site, and then have to upgrade again to get v5 on steam? Because the keys don't go the the other way.

Steam doesn't provide any system to upgrade software/games.

So here is how to do it:
- Link your Steam account on our website
- Upgrade on our website
- When SD5 is released, contact us and we will give you a Steam key

Cheers,
Nicolas
Head of Product Management

Yes!
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Hi guys, to give you a better idea, here is an example of a filter created using the "Pixel Processor" node.

If animations could be made by hooking up a phase modifier that increments over time, those gradients could be the next best thing since sliced bread! (i'm thinking fans, display effects etc..)

Yes!

Awesome :-)

Will the Nodes (PBR validate, Metal reflectance, ...) introduced in PBR Vol. 2 by Wes, finally find their way into Designer 5?
Environment Artist - Twitter

There is supposed to be a 4.6.2 when those nodes appear.

there isn't any Beta to test (taste) it...?