Author Topic: layers don't seem to work the way you would think  (Read 4336 times)

Ok, when you create a layer and then create a second layer on top of the original it makes sense that the layer on top should override the layer on the bottom. This is not happening correctly.
example: I have a bottom layer called fabric. It has the fabric substance and produces the correct height information showing the fabric pattern. I then create a layer above the fabric layer and this layer is called rubber. I use the uniform rubber substance on this layer and use an id selection mask to limit where the rubber is on the model. Now you would think that the rubber areas on the model would be using the rubber height information showing the rubber pattern. this is not the case! the fabric pattern is showing not the rubber pattern. This tells me that the layers are not really working the way that they should.

Hopefully this will be fixed in an upcoming release cause trying to find a work around is not proving to be easy or effective.

thanks,

Alex

EDIT:  Ok i found a way to get around this issue but it is not all that clear as to how to do it. you have to create a selection id mask for the rubber parts and select the color id. When you do this it turns the mask black with white for the color ID selections. That part works just fine. Then you have to right click on the mask and select invert the background. That alone does not fix the issue as all it does is turn the whole mask white rather than changing the background to white and the id selections to black. So to fix this you need to select the color selection below the mask and in the dialog you have to change the output value to black. This will then create the proper inverted mask with the background white and the color id selections black.

So when you do the steps above you will then have the correct result in that the fabric pattern will show on the non-rubber color id selections and the rubber will no longer have the fabric pattern as it did before.

whew!!
Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:36:55 pm

I created a Base Layer with the Cotton Substance and a Layer above it with the Rubber Material.
In the first Attached image you can see that. To get rid of the height information below, you can use a setup like the second screenshot shows.
2 Fill Layers with the desired Materials. Both have a Black mask.
Now you paint the Rubber with white color in the Black mask, copy the mask into the Cotton-Mask and invert it with a Level-Layer-Effect.

The result is like I understand what you want to achieve and sounds simpler as well ;)

It's a bit confusing that there is no button to invert the whole mask but only the background of the mask, if you right click it. The Levels-Effect is the way to go until there is a button.
Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:00:33 am
Environment Artist - Twitter

Thanks Fabian, that is a great way to do it as well and as you said might be easier than the workaround i found. Thanks for the help.

Alex

If you add an empty Height Layer to the Rubber material, then set the the Blending Mode of the Rubber's Height layer to "Replace", instead of "Linear Dodge", it will have the effect you are looking for.

Great! Thanks for the great reply!

That's even better, thank you benmilette! I hadn't the blending modes in mind... Thumbs up! ;)

But what you should need to know: Both ways have different looks. Compare Screenshot 1 (Levels Effect; Mask Effect) with Screenshot 2 (Replace; Blending Mode)

When using the blending Mode 'Replace', the translucent areas of this Rubber-paint are becoming more yellowish, while the way I explained using the Levels-Effect keeps having black values.
Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:12:17 pm
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey Fabian,

I actually noticed the opposite effect. By placing a red material underneath everything and using the levels method, you can see the red showing through, but using the replace method doesn't seem to have this.