Author Topic: WW2 Paratrooper Boots  (Read 3204 times)

WW2 Paratrooper Boot

It´s cut off at the top, where it meets the pants
hope you like it!

The longer I am working on this character project, the more I fall in love with the non-destructive workflow, that let´s you so easily rebake and tweak stuff.
Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:06:22 pm

The leather is awesome.
Keep up your good work.

Very impressive! Can you tell more about the process?

About the process:

- My focus lies in establishing a non destructive workflow, that lets me work on my models in iterations
- I am modeling the highres in ZBrush, defining the materials with polypaint, retopo with Topogun, UV´s with Maya
- I really like the Substance Baker, so I bake everything inside SD. One reason for making use of Substance baker is the ability to rebake stuff very quickly (>polishing iterations).
- My target renderer is Marmoset, as it seems to be industry standard; and it is the perfect bridge to Unreal.
- I enjoy all steps of this workflow, but especially the work in SD; First I setup the basic materials, then create a graph for each part of the character, then refine things.
- I layer the Materials one after another; That´s why the dirty boot looks like "after walking through dirt with fresh polished boots", as John Birken put it. So it will be necessary to find a level of weathering and dirt, that comes together well.

I will post the whole character soon (hopefully :))

thanks for your comments!

Hey Michael, they look superb mate!  Especially like the dirty boots.

Thanks artzfx! Still working on the dirt - it´s not as easy as I thought, but a lot of fun to do!

Great as always Michael! Can't wait to see the finished scene.

On the dirt, that would be the only thing from is it looks foggy, dirt on lacquered boots has a way of sticking some places and completely falling off others where you can still see some gloss.

You know me, I am a fan ever since I saw the M1. :)

Great as always Michael! Can't wait to see the finished scene.

On the dirt, that would be the only thing from is it looks foggy, dirt on lacquered boots has a way of sticking some places and completely falling off others where you can still see some gloss.

You know me, I am a fan ever since I saw the M1. :)

great input, thanks!

BTW, it usually sticks in the places where the lacquer has worn off a bit, hint, hint. :)

Really clean process.  You should make a small workflow one day :everyone would benefit of it  ;)