Author Topic: Help with creating a scratch effect for Painter  (Read 2350 times)

Hey folks,

I made some scratch masks/graphs in Designer that work really well, and I wanted to transfer them to Painter.

Ideally, I would like to create an effect with them so I can apply them to entire surfaces and mask them out etc.

I have no idea how to do that. I've read some posts, and it seems a bit above my right brained, artist head.

I was wondering and hoping if some kind soul could make a graph for me and I could just plug in my scratch alpha and publish it out of Designer. I wouldn't really need any special controls, other than tiling, if that is possible.

If not, anyone care to explain how to do it?

Thank you kindly.

Trevor Crandall
Senior Vehicle Artist
Treyarch

Hey Trevor,

Here is a template to use for bringing mask generators to Painter.

All you have to do is replace the Mask Generator by yours, adjust the inputs if needed and then expose your filter's parameters in this graph. Publish it and it's ready for Painter.

Hey Jeremie,

Can I trouble you for a bit of an explanation - what exactly to unplug and plug, where and how to expose the parameters etc?

Thanks man.

-Trevor

Hey Trevor,

Here is a template to use for bringing mask generators to Painter.

All you have to do is replace the Mask Generator by yours, adjust the inputs if needed and then expose your filter's parameters in this graph. Publish it and it's ready for Painter.

thank you for the template!
Windows 10 / Octane & Marmoset Toolbag / GTX Titan Black 6GB + GTX 970 / Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHZ (6 Core / 12 Threads)

Here are some explanations:

Once you're done, simply publish your substance and you should be good to go!

Thank you sir!

Hey,
tell me please, why smart material isn't applied only on edges?

Hey sovarog,

you need the additional maps to do this, like a Curvature map.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey sovarog,

you need the additional maps to do this, like a Curvature map.

Best Regards

O, thanks.
But why I choose one map, and all are baked?

Make sure you hav the latest 1.3.3 build. This bug has been fixed.

Make sure you hav the latest 1.3.3 build. This bug has been fixed.

Ok. Thank you.