Author Topic: Meet the new Substance 3D!  (Read 3139 times)

Substance is now Adobe Substance 3D

Hello everyone, dear community, newcomers, and long-time followers!

As you may have heard, we shared some big news today regarding the present and future of Substance 3D at Adobe.
For those of you who have not seen it, you can watch Sebastien's and Scott's address here, followed by a more in-depth explanation of the licensing changes and product updates here.

Here is a summary of the changes taking effect today:

•   The apps are now under the umbrella brand "Adobe Substance 3D"

•   Designer is getting procedural modeling!

•   We announced 2 new apps!

o   Stager is a scene staging and rendering app allowing you to quickly create high-quality renderings for characters, props, product design, marketing, vehicles, anything really! You can send assets directly from painter to Stager too! It is available today as part of the Substance 3D Collection.

o   Modeler is a brand-new hybrid modeling app, combining VR sculpting and desktop modeling. It enters closed beta starting today. You can sign up here.

•   We also have new Asset platforms on adobe.com, taking the relay of Substance Share and Substance Source. The Substance 3D Asset platform now also includes 2000+ game-ready 3D models and procedural environment lights on top of the 9000+ materials.

•   New subscriptions are now available on Adobe.com:

o   Substance 3D Texturing - $19.99/month - This is the same as today's Substance Indie subscription, with access to Painter, Designer and Sampler (Alchemist) + 30 materials/month. It has a few bonus perks like advanced interop between the tools and Adobe Bridge to manage material libraries.

o   Substance 3D Collection for Individuals - $49.99/month $24.99/month for the first year for the Substance community- This includes the three texturing apps as well as Stager and 50 assets/month (materials, models and lights). Get this limited time 50% off discount offer here (link coming up soon!)

o   Substance 3D Collection for Teams - $99.99/month $79.99/month for a year for existing Substance customers - This includes everything in the Substance 3D Collection for Individuals, adds license management and ups the number of assets per month to 100. This replaces the Substance Pro subscription.

•   Steam licenses are still available and are still perpetual.

•   Linux keeps being supported along Windows and Mac.

•   Students still have access to the tools for free.

For more information on how to transition to the new offers and other details, please refer to our FAQ (will update with the link soon!)

We hope you are all as excited as we are with this new chapter of the Substance journey. We know a lot of you expressed apprehension when the news first broke that Allegorithmic had joined Adobe. We have always tried our best to provide you with professional but affordable 3D tools and we hope we delivered on that promise this time again with this new offering.

Our forums will be moving to the Adobe Community portal but the Substance3D.com forum will stay open for a while, after which it will be closed to new messages, but still accessible.

This thread is open to all your reactions, remarks, questions, rants, and everything in-between. We will do our best to reply to everyone.

Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:43:09 pm

Where can I find information/order ability for migrating from my current Substance subscriptions to the new Adobe subscriptions? And am I understanding correctly that there would be a discount for current Substance subscribers?

Hi
I currently have an indie subscription.
1. Will that indie subcscription automatically transition to the new 3D texturing subscription?
2. Will all assets I have bought from Substance Source remain licensed
3. Will asset points built up in Substance source be carried forward?
4. I also have a separate Adobe CC account. Will that remain separate?

Dave

First, congratulations on the rebrand!

Now the important questions:
Those of us who have perpetual licences (Painter/Designer) and still have ongoing maintenance. Are we going to receive future product updates and bug fixes? If not, how/where should we ask for a (maintenance) refund?

Now the grief: Shutting down of this forum is sad. The Adobe forum has terrible UX, and Discord is just too noisy to seek "community" solutions to user problems.

I also would like to know how we get the discount. I was just on adobe.com and there is no option to say "I am a current Substance subscriber"

Just a $39.99 monthly plan option.

Thanks.

Where can I find information/order ability for migrating from my current Substance subscriptions to the new Adobe subscriptions? And am I understanding correctly that there would be a discount for current Substance subscribers?
On the homepage, scroll a little bit and you'll find instructions to migrate the account: https://www.substance3d.com/
If you are on a month to month basis, you will get a free month. If you have a annual sub, you will get reimbursed the pro-rated amount depending on the renewal date.

Hi
I currently have an indie subscription.
1. Will that indie subcscription automatically transition to the new 3D texturing subscription?
2. Will all assets I have bought from Substance Source remain licensed
3. Will asset points built up in Substance source be carried forward?
4. I also have a separate Adobe CC account. Will that remain separate?

Dave
1. Same as above, you can transition manually using the instructions on the homepage.
2. Yes you will keep all licensed Source assets.
3. Yes, although we are still putting up together the backend to transition the points.
4. You can use the same account or a different Adobe account, up to you.

First, congratulations on the rebrand!

Now the important questions:
Those of us who have perpetual licences (Painter/Designer) and still have ongoing maintenance. Are we going to receive future product updates and bug fixes? If not, how/where should we ask for a (maintenance) refund?

Now the grief: Shutting down of this forum is sad. The Adobe forum has terrible UX, and Discord is just too noisy to seek "community" solutions to user problems.
Thank you!
You will still be able to download new builds for the remainder of your maintenance on Substance3d.com in the "My licenses" section.

I also would like to know how we get the discount. I was just on adobe.com and there is no option to say "I am a current Substance subscriber"

Just a $39.99 monthly plan option.

Thanks.
The discount link will be mailed to you and posted here in the coming hours/days at most. We're still finalizing a few things!

Thanks for the info but this has been a confusing process.

Hi there,

Can I transfer my substance source credits from substance3d account to adobe account?

I am excited about the future of Substance 3D but frustrated about where we are today.

Last night, Substance Launcher tried to install a series of updates. I let it run overnight and when I woke up this morning, I found Launcher trying to continually download and install the same updates. I rebooted and got a message on Launcher "New product builds available" with a link to download the new installers. Fine.

I am in the middle of a project. I do not have time to worry about upgrading or migrating. So, I decide to launch the apps and get back to work only to find that I cannot launch Painter, my Designer projects are unable to find any nodes, and Alchemist wants to update to 3.0.0 "Waffle"...whatever that is.

While troubleshooting Designer, I discovered that all of the Substance 3D apps were installed on my computer. I just cannot access them via the Launch or Start menu! I can start and activate them using my Substance account, but it leaves me with some questions:

1. Are these complete installs? I have no way of knowing if the installation was successful.
2. I can see copies of the old executables on my hard drive. Were the old versions not properly installed?
3. If I want to use the old versions to complete my current projects, how do I reinstall them?
4. How can I access Substance Source and my materials and credits? I cannot access Source through the Launcher (it just gives me the running dots) and when I got to Source through my browser, it takes me to an Adobe-branded version that tells me I have no credits.

Any help or guidance would certainly be appreciated.

I still remember that "nothing will change" post lol

Hi there,

Can I transfer my substance source credits from substance3d account to adobe account?

extremely relevant, yes

I'm sad to hear this forum is closing, but glad it will still be accessible to read as there is a lot of useful information here.

Whilst the move to Adobe has obviously been a benefit to Substance in that the resources are there to develop it, I can't help feeling sad and worried about the continued 'absorption' into Adobe. I absolutely hate the Adobe cloud app (although I have to use it, hate the way photoshop installs and updates) and I fear this is what Substance will be like too.

Next thing after the forum closing will probably be less of the fantastic communication and dialogue the Substance team have always had to date with the user community. Lets face it, Adobe are s*** at that (sorry for the language but I'm upset) and their customer support is the worst I've experienced in any software I have used in the past 10 years.

I'm sure this has all been expressed before, but I'm making no apologies for it. I love love love Substance and the way the original company conducted itself and communicated to users, it has been an absolute joy to use and learn, and I fear within the next year this will be something of the past:(
Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:55:46 pm