Author Topic: Substance - 3ds Max - Redshift integration  (Read 501 times)

I'm trying to use the Substance integration inside 3ds max with Redshift and it's not really working very well.

I get this error at render time

The map '(null)' (Substance2Output / #{39670366,5b80451d}) is not supported by Redshift.

It also doesn't work at all with IPR in redshift which makes it pretty useless.

I am running max 2021 and the latest build of Redshift, although it was an issue with previous builds too.

I mentioned this on the Redshift forums and this was the response from one of the devs
Not 100% sure where they’re at with this.  Last year I had worked out a proposal with the developer of the Max plugin for Substance.  We exchanged a few prototypes and then things went quiet.  Maybe we’re each waiting for the other to do something.  My last email to them was at the end of November last year, and I didn’t get a reply.  I haven’t had a chance to check in with them again.  I’ll do that now.

From my end, there is not much to do.  The code is just sitting dormant, waiting to be enabled.  From their end, they needed to basically overhaul their shader management and implement it in C++ (instead of MaxScript, which is how they have been providing conversions).  My understanding is that when it’s done they would let me know.

Another issue in Max (not sure if this is only regarding Redshift) is the amount of time it takes to process the maps.
I am using the heavy_cracked_concrete_sidewalk_01.sbsar from substance source.

512 x 512 is pretty much instant
1024 x1024 takes 8 sec
4096 x 4096 (which I would prob use the most often) takes 2min 30sec

I want the flexibility of keeping the files as .sbar but not at the expense of 2:30 a frame.

It's still something I need to work on, but it's mostly complete on our end.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Any update on this?  When can we expect a fix?  I'm running Max 2022 with Redshift 3.0.45 and am getting the same errors.