Author Topic: What could be the proper workflow for tileable landscapes?  (Read 302 times)

I wanted to create 4 variations of tileable landscape inside Designer (meaning: each of them would be slightly different, but all of them could tile with each other). My first approach was to unwrap all landscapes into one plane with 4:1 proprtions. I packed them all into the bottom part of the UV space. It kind of worked, but was inefficent, since i only used 1/4 of the UV space.

Then I decided to try UDIMs, and set the graph resolution to 4096:1024. But when I imported my new mesh, unwrapped into 4 UDIMs, everything was projected into the first tile and repeated over into the next tiles.

Obviously I could stick with my first method, but I assume there is a better way to do it. The best solution would be to create one 8k map for all tiles and place each tile into one quarter. But I couldn't work like that inside designer because all maps are projected into UV space, not the object space (and that would cause visible seam beetween 2nd and 3rd tile).

EDIT: I didn't mention that, but I need tiling only in one axis.

EDIT2: I've found tri-planar node, which almost solves my problem, but there is still a seam between UV islands from baking position data. It doesn't dissapear even if I set precision to 32 bit. Setting larger margins helps a little bit, but seams are still visible.
Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 06:50:11 pm