Author Topic: How to paint on selected part of the mesh, selected faces or selected object  (Read 136 times)

I've been searching a lot for this but couldn't find it. I hope someone here can help me.
I have my objects imported from blender and I would like to paint on 1 object only.
They all share the same material. I added a fill layer with a mask and a paint layer on this mask.
Now I'm painting color away on this layer so the layer underneath will show.
But I want to paint more precise and would like to select only 1 object to paint on.
I read about using Y, doesn't work. I read about the geometry mask (which I thought worked until I turned include all on again and I painted on the rest of the model. I read about polygon fill. but I don't want to fill the whole object I want to PAINT on it.

So please can anyone tell me a simple solution for this.

How to paint on selected part of the mesh, selected faces or selected object?

Here is my screenshot. that side beam is a separated object in blender. I didn't join them. i used geometry mask but after include all it also painted on the beam on the right. i just want to paint the blue or remove the blue from that left side beam.

Substance Painter Apprentice

You can isolate meshes by geometry masking. If you just want to paint on selective faces you'll need to make a mask and use polyfill. Otherwise, make an ID Map prior.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Thanks for the reply! I tried geometry masking, but maybe I did something wrong so I will look into that again some day.
For now I found a different solution, I'm painting in the 2d UV map. If I put my paint layer setting on alignment: UV.
It would be nice if, like in blender, you could just hide different objects (even if they share the same material) so you won't paint on them. Ah well..
Substance Painter Apprentice