Author Topic: Faint seams/lines through all exported texture maps. At a loss. SP V2020.1.1  (Read 442 times)

Hi guys, I have been working on a texture pack project for some time and I recently noticed that upon export of all my maps, I get these weird faint lines going through my exported images. They are not present in the SP viewport and only show up when I export the texture maps, everything looks fine and perfectly seamless while painting. I have tried everything from exporting 8 bit, dithering, 16 bit etc. Different formats (png, tiff...). Also tried triangulating the mesh and subdividing it, playing with smooth groups. Nothing has affected the results in the way I would like. I am at a loss for what to do here - has anyone else encountered this?

I attached the image which basically details the problem that is happening accross all of my exports. For reference I am using the plane mesh that was referenced in the tutorial for creating tileable texture maps in substance painter. Like I mentioned I also took it into 3ds Max to edit the geometry in an attempt to fix the issue. The seams also show up on my normal, roughness, metalness etc maps and do not show up on UV edges, only in the middle of my texture.

Export size is 2048x2048. GPU drivers up to date.

This is my first post in the community so if I am not including enough information feel free to let me know. I can provide a log file if needed. This has really been bugging me because I plan on selling my work online and I would not like the end user to zoom in on the final product only to see these faint seams.

Thanks guys and have a good day. Apart from this issue I have been really enjoying using SP for my work - take care.
Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 06:32:45 pm

Here is another image

Just a heads up, but it's not possible for those seams to appear outside of UV borders. The reason is that the texture only has a certain resolution, and these seams clearly have a much higher resolution than your texture, so they are not in fact on the texture. There must be something wrong with the UVs.

I should also note that seams at UV borders when zooming in are unavoidable, as the texture can not smoothly be interpolated between two entirely different UV islands unless both UV borders happen to align perfectly with each other (i.e. they are parallel) on the pixel grid.

Feel free to post the created texture and the .obj of your object.

Thank you for the reply. I will upload the created texture in its entirety along with the mesh... I am just confused however because the seams do in fact seem to happen inside of UV borders for some unknown reason. I tried an export with a new project as well, just using a single rust texture for testing and the problem persisted. The first time I noticed this my first thought was that it was some sort of texture compression.

I was thinking it is due to the UV's as well, but the mesh is so simple (2D plane with a simple 0-1 UV and 1 smooth group) that I can't fathom how anything could really be misaligned to cause these artifacts.

The document size was 2048 in the painter project and I exported to 2048 accordingly.

Texture file in PNG was too large to post so I am using a google drive link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/12sjsdzowJ4DMvyyI42PGLarJpbm21X5e/view?usp=sharing

I should also note that I think the problem could possibly be due to me using Window's Photo Viewer when previewing?