Author Topic: Correct workflow when tiling  (Read 452 times)

I'm new to Substance Designer but I have a good amount of experience with nodes and procedural in general.
I wonder what's the correct way to go with TILES and Textures. The issue is that if we add detail to the tiles after the tile sampler, when you increase or decrease the amount of tiles, those details won't scale and we get a very different result.

9x9

If we add all the detail before we tile them it will work but you end up with repetition and we lose all the randomness we can get with flood fill, etc...
Do we need to use functions to scale those textures based on the number of tiles or maybe there's another way to do it that?

Honestly, designer isn't set up very well to deal with scaling.
You have to manually set up functions to deal with this.
Generally speaking though, materials don't need to be very scalable. When you need a material at a different scale, you approach it differently. some details become more important, others less. When a material contains many tiles, it gives you more room for variation without causing obvious tiling as quickly, for instance.

If you do want to set up something scalable though:
Luckily, most noises scale linearly, so their scale can just be multiplied by a global "scale" variable.
Most filters also scale linearly, but you have to divide by this scale parameter instead.

If a filter has 2 inputs that are both scaled (a warp with 2 noise inputs for instance), its intensity has to compensate for both of those inputs. So, divide its intensity by scale^2 instead.

I found something that helps a lot, Flood fill BBox Size will help me multiply the height by the tile size at least. And flood fill mapper grayscale to scale the textures size also depending on the tiles. That's enough for me, thank you!