Author Topic: Alchemist to Painter material looks different  (Read 751 times)

I've been working on a material in Alchemist that I'd like to use in Painter, but when using it in the latter, it looks radically different from the sample in Alchemist. Read somewhere that I should turn off normal when exporting, as Painter converts height to normal, but both channels have very different information in my Alchemist project. My main question is if there is a way to have the exact same material from Alchemist in Painter, or if these differences are to be expected. Thanks

I would still export the normal and height from Alchemist and then in Painter, I will adjust normal and height intensity to get a closer match.
Substance Alchemist Product Manager

Thank you so much for the reply. I've tried to follow your advice, but can't seem to find a way to adjust normal and height parameters in Painter (it seems that materials made in Alchemist don't allow control of these parameters once imported to Painter). The only way I've found to adjust Height is by using a Height Adjust Filter, but the result is still far from the original one in Alchemist.

Another example: I made this material in Alchemist (see attached pictures), and then been trying to use it in Painter (with Height Adjust filter), but again, can't make it look exactly as the sample in Alchemist. There's a truly photorealistic quality that gets lost once imported in Painter; if you look at the screenshot from Alchemist, you'll notice that the material looks sharp, detailed, photographic; whereas once applied into Painter, tends to look a bit blurry and undefined. I wonder if there's a way to get the exact same results in Painter than in Alchemist, or if some loss of information is to be expected… Again, thanks in advance for any helpful insights.

Thank you so much for the reply. I've tried to follow your advice, but can't seem to find a way to adjust normal and height parameters in Painter (it seems that materials made in Alchemist don't allow control of these parameters once imported to Painter). The only way I've found to adjust Height is by using a Height Adjust Filter, but the result is still far from the original one in Alchemist.

Another example: I made this material in Alchemist (see attached pictures), and then been trying to use it in Painter (with Height Adjust filter), but again, can't make it look exactly as the sample in Alchemist. There's a truly photorealistic quality that gets lost once imported in Painter; if you look at the screenshot from Alchemist, you'll notice that the material looks sharp, detailed, photographic; whereas once applied into Painter, tends to look a bit blurry and undefined. I wonder if there's a way to get the exact same results in Painter than in Alchemist, or if some loss of information is to be expected… Again, thanks in advance for any helpful insights.

Hmmm I had the same problem but I don't remember how I solved it. maybe you should spend a little more time with the settings. I'm sure it will work out for you