Author Topic: Strange Unwanted Mirror/Duplicate/Shadow Texture Effect  (Read 433 times)

So I am learning and there are a few things wrong here but with one I have no idea where to start even looking for help.

With the Strange Mirror Effect on the Bottom of the Chair? Its taking the shape of the cylinder and painting it above it?

Low Poly Mesh

High Poly Mesh

High Poly Mesh Less Clutter

I've tried swapping the vertex colors, even making it the same vertex color and i've brought the arm down slightly in hopes it would stop the echo or shadow effect.

I know there are some other errors here, around the cylinders joining the flat surface that need more geometry and the edge connecting to the seat which I might be able to fix with more edge loops, but with the mirror effect here above the cylinder I don't even know where to begin :D

Any suggestions where to look for a problem?

Thanks in advance!

*Here is the UV Map to show there are no overlaps. Highlights are the faces.

Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:36:14 pm

If this happens after baking then you need to bake by mesh name to split it. Otherwise the rays are hitting those parts.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

If this happens after baking then you need to bake by mesh name to split it. Otherwise the rays are hitting those parts.

First off thank you very much for putting me on the right track and helping expand my knowledge. It helped a heck of a lot. As i've been learning there have been many hurdles and it was an uplifting thing to get a helping hand.

There were two reasons for this particular error.

1) In the Normal Map Bake the Relative Bounding Box needed to be unchecked.
2) In the Ambient Occulsion Bake the Max Occluder Distance needed to be lowered.

I have no idea what these two settings influence in the quality of the model yet or its potential application so if anyone has any thoughts on that it'd be helpful.

Hopefully this post helps someone else in the future.

Bake settings are just a starting point. Far too many people just load up the bake screen and click bake without adjusting.

Regarding the bounding box, when checked the distances are normalized in the 0-1 range. Distances are expressed as a percentage of the Bounding Box size. When not checked, the distances are not normalized and dependent on the object size.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)