Author Topic: Best practice to export variations  (Read 274 times)

Hi,

Is there a way in Substance Painter to export variations of a texture?

Simple example is a box/crate which will have options for different colours and a symbol. Blue/ Purple/ Green etc
I want to export out an albedo for each one. They all feed off the same roughness + grunge map setups, but have different stylized colour variations + symbol. (Easy to keep in the same file but make some subtle variations)
Currently I export texture > copy to another folder > rename. Then recycle that process. I have 3 colours and 4 symbols, so that's 12 variations.  This is ok to do once, but if changes are made it becomes tedious.

I can think of 3 easy ways to solve this but Substance Painter doesn't allow any of them?
  • An option to add a suffix onto an exported texture without editing the template. 
  • An option to create a new texture set within SP that then takes advantage of the template naming conventions
  • An option to not overwrite existing texture but adds an incremental version name afterwards (least useful but saves copying to another folder)

Any thoughts on how to better achieve this would be great.

I would just make Folders within my Layer stack and toggle as needed. On Export I would make a new folder within the Root per variation.

Otherwise you can make texture sets on the fly as needed by adding them and re-importing your low poly under your project config, but I would still go with option 1.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)