Author Topic: Mixer style tinting  (Read 693 times)

Hi, so I've been using Megascans and Mixer has a really useful feature where setting the tint to mid gray (127,127,127) kind of "neutralizes" the albedo without completely desaturating. It really helps with recoloring or tinting the albedo later, as it retains colour data. If you look at the histogram it seems like it is "centering" the histrogram somehow (see the attachment).

I was trying to recreate this function in Substance, and I can kind of eyeball it for an individual texture with levels but of course this doesn't work for other textures.

So the question is, what is Mixer doing in this case, and can it be re created in Substance as a function so I can in put any image and get a similar result?

I haven't used mixer or know it's internal workings, but from the image I'm guessing they used a highpass.

In substance designer, use the highpass node to separate detail from the image.
Than to apply this detail to a flat color, use a blend node set to "add sub" with an opacity of 0.5.

Setting the highpass to an intensity of 128 should make it include all detail. Setting it to a much lower value (like 2 for instance) should isolate only fine details.

Thanks for the response Esger, and sorry for not replying, I'd given up on getting an answer!

You are spot on with the highpass, it works exactly like Mixer with those settings.

I just didn't recognize it as a highpass for some reason, I guess because I have never used it with high values like that. I knew it would be something simple though.

small update, its not pixel for pixel a match with Mixer, but possibly there are different implementations of the "high pass" effect with slight differences.

But I was able to tint the texture back to its original look by just picking the average colour of the original textures. Very cool.

Thanks again!

No worries, the forum doesn't exactly get a lot of traffic anymore.
There is a discord as well by the way, which moves along a bit quicker.

And yeah, it's possible they use something different, but I'm glad it's working for you.