Author Topic: Problem with Baking with Match by Name  (Read 390 times)

I'm having a problem with baking my object down when using Match by Name. The always setting works just fine so I'm lead to believe its not an inherent issue with my mesh not wanting to load into Substance Painter.

I've attempted fixes posted on youtube and google to no avail. I've exported and re-exported a dozen times from different softwares (3DS Max, Zbrush, Blender and Meshlabs), and have tried different file types from each software (.obj and .fbx)

[BakingProcess] Highpoly scene was required when baking Normal Map from Mesh but could not be loaded.

I've seen that error once before but it seemed to resolve itself, where now I've been cracking my head against it for nearly two hours without success.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

If you can provide the high and low meshes it would be easy to find the problem.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

If you can provide the high and low meshes it would be easy to find the problem.

Sure. Thanks for the reply.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ixdahkbbzmnyy6/AADwDty5inV7wpQdHsRE1-qga?dl=0

If you can provide the high and low meshes it would be easy to find the problem.

Sure. Thanks for the reply.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ixdahkbbzmnyy6/AADwDty5inV7wpQdHsRE1-qga?dl=0

When baking by mesh name you need pairs. On your low you have:

Armpad_Low
Detail_Knut_2_Low
Forearm_Strap_Low
Grab_Strap_Low
Heater_Base_Low
X_Straps_Low

Then your high is just:

Heater_High

What you need is:

Armpad_High
Detail_Knut_2_High
Forearm_Strap_High
Grab_Strap_High
Heater_Base_High
X_Straps_High

Just separate out those parts on the high and you'll be fine. Also make sure your suffix matches in Painter. If you use _Low change it from _low to _Low in the baker suffix area. Everything is case sensitive.

I would also suggest not mixing OBJ and FBX and just keeping it either OBJ or FBX and make sure your scales are the same, and transforms applied.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Thanks for looking everything over. In my scene I had everything split out and named accordingly.
I'm not sure whats causing it to merge my mesh down into a single object when I export into .obj

I did manage to get it to bake successfully. I went back and made sure to check the case on my _Low and _High pieces and exported once again into .fbx as I had done with my low poly.

Thanks for the help.

The OBJ was not split and named correctly on the high. You have to remember certain programs like Maya for example will merged it into a single OBJ unless you group split.

As a test take that High Poly mesh you provided me and open it in Blender or another application, it should just be



When I split it and re-named it worked fine.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)