Author Topic: Substance material resets itself !  (Read 1074 times)

Hello,

I've encountered a really painful bug with a material coming from Source. I created a Corona material using this SBSAR file, tweaking saturation and luminosity directly in the Substance material. So far so good BUT after a night rendering multiple images, I've discovered that the Substance material had reset itself to the initial state - without tweaked saturation and luminosity !!! I have to reload the SBSAR and tweak again to get the result I want ... but when I submitt to network rendering, since max file is opened again, the material resets itself again :( :(
Really, the more I use it, the more I think Substance integration is s**t: bugs, performance, reliability, are not there so far.

Any chance to fix this quickly, please ? without a fix, using Substance in production is a no-go for me. I work on 3dsmax 2021.3 and Susbtance plugin v2.4.2.

Thank you for the attention you'll pay to this help request.

Regards.
Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:29:00 am

Good morning,

Any answer, please ? any chance to get Substance working with 3dsmax 2021, so that I have the feeling to pay Substance to be able to use it ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.
Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:29:42 am

If you plan to use Substance textures in an external DCC application, the best option is to export the Substance file to bitmaps using Substance Player.

If you plan to use Substance textures in an external DCC application, the best option is to export the Substance file to bitmaps using Substance Player.
Hello,

Thanks for this suggestion, that's what I suspected (apart still getting no feedback from Substance team ...). But that's not the workflow I expected when I subscribed to Substance :( :(

I can take a look at it. What are you using for network rendering right now?

For network rendering, you might need to use bitmaps for now.
Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:53:19 pm
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

I can take a look at it. What are you using for network rendering right now?

For network rendering, you might need to use bitmaps for now.

Hello,
I tried with BackBurner and Pulze Render Manager, but it's irrelevant IMHO. Closing the scene and reopening it is enough to get the problem, locally, without any network rendering involved.

I'll take a look at that then, it probably has nothing to do with network rendering in particular if it's happening locally.

I've had this issue for months now. Of course The Substance Team won't fix it anytime soon.

The best workaround I've come up with is to export the material preset and reload it if it resets itself. Now this works for me locally, but I have never tried it on network rendering.

Hope this helps.

I'll take a look at that then, it probably has nothing to do with network rendering in particular if it's happening locally.

Hello,

Is there any news about fixing this issue, please ?

Thanks.

Not as of now. I'll try to get to it sometime this week if I can. I'm working with our QA to make sure we can repro it first.
Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:06:23 pm