Author Topic: How to use custom RGBA mask for tile pattern?  (Read 273 times)

Hi,

I'm trying to place some tiles using an RGBA mask I created but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm fairly new to SD so I apologize if this seems like a silly question. I used the Multi-Material Blend Node when I was using Uniform Colors, however, when I place the tile bitmap you can see it only masks out that area of the tile vs. placing that tile in each square.

How can I assign specific tiles to specific colors?

Thanks in advance!!
Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:33:54 am

Hello @Sundos.alriffi,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Is your RGBA mask and ID map? In the Multi-material blend node's parameters, the Color property for each material let you select the color in the ID map which corresponds to the material. This behaviour is similar to the Color to mask node.

Please share annotated screenshots which demonstrate what you want to achieve and the results you currently have, so I can provide relevant guidance for your use case.

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hi @Luca Giarrizzo,

Sorry, I thought I included images in my original post! I updated it now.

The RGBA mask is just a pattern design I created in photoshop. I am able to select the color in the map to correspond with each Uniform Color Node, no issues there. But what I would like to be able to do is place my tile/image in the corresponding color that I choose. In the last image, you can see what I am trying to achieve with the tile placement. And I have multiple tiles and want to assign them each a corresponding color.

Thanks,

Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:19:43 am

Hello @Sundos.alriffi,

Thank you for following up on this issue, and providing helpful images to illustrate the problem.

The ID map in the Multi-material blend node only has masking purposes. The node does not transform the inputs to make them fit the shapes delineated in the ID map.

Therefore, you need to transform the input materials before blending them, so they fit the shapes in the ID map. In this specific case, a couple of Transformation 2D nodes (one without tiling to create the gap around the tile, and one with tiling to scale down the tile while repeating it) or a Tile generator node should do the trick.

I hope this is helpful! Feel free to le me know the outcome.

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team