Author Topic: Suggestions for GPU laptop  (Read 162 times)

Hi

I'm currently experiencing very slow performance whilst working in Painter on my laptop. It can take a few seconds to process just from adjusting sliders or turning on/off layers. I'm using an MSI gaming laptop with a GTX 1060, 8GB DRR4 RAM, Windows 10, and running it from an SSD. It's not kitted with the latest hardware, but still... I've also experienced a couple of random crashes too.

Are there any settings I could adjust to help performance?

Make sure your laptop is actually using that GPU and not a onboard one. I know laptops that have an onboard and also include a GPU like your GeForce, so you'll want to be 100% sure Painter runs with the correct one. I would also make sure your drivers are up to date.

You can force the GPU from the NVIDIA control panel, or worst case just disable in your Device Manager the non-Geforce GPU.

I may already have the latest driver installed. I'll have to check. Disabling the onboard graphics might be a problem though. It doesn't seem to let me do it as it uses Intel graphics for the basic display and usage of the laptop. And then the GPU for games if I set it to that.

Then force it through your NVIDIA control panel so when you run Painter it uses your Geforce.

Set it to use the GPU, but the same problem happens. It even takes a while to think about it when colour picking. The problem with it taking the time it does to load between things is that my laptop gets hotter and eventually it'll lead to an inevitable crash.