Author Topic: Can SD have up to 40 colors as presets in (1) material?  (Read 324 times)

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
I am creating a master manufacture's grout material and want to have all of the (40) colors as presets for bringing in to UE4 as (1) material where colors could be swapped out during real time rendering, and I am not sure if this is doable in SD?

Please advise,

Thanks!

Hello @bluicat,

This is indeed doable in Substance Designer. The complexity of implementing this will depend on the graph and the expected color variations. It can be as quick and easy as exposing an Uniform color node's Output color, and creating a preset for each RGB value you desire to save.

Feel free to share more details regarding your color implementation in Substance Designer if you feel creating presets for color variations is not that straightforward in your case.

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hi Luca,

Fantastic! Glad to read that so many color presets can be had in a single material.
I will proceed and will update should there be issues in this graph.

Thanks for the fast response.  Much appreciated! 

Best!

Hi Luca,

Clearly something I must be doing is wrong as the colors are not changing when I bring in .sbsar file into Substance Player.

Steps are:
1. expose all of the uniform colors
2. expose the blending give it a name of the color in foreground. exposed parameter is set to blending with name in front.
3. go to presets and check create new name to match uniform colors and set the color to presets name.

Please see attached Substance Player import of materials and please advise on how to get these 43 colors switching in Substance player.  I simply have all set to copy since all I want is the foreground color to come through. I also started with a blank uniform color as I understand the blend node needs to always have (2) inputs for optimization.

Let me know if it is easier to send the .sbs file?

Thanks,
Sandra

Hi Luca,

I was wondering if it makes more sense to use the Multi Switch color instead?  I am currently looking for tutorials on how to expose these parameters on this node?  Again, I have 43 colors I simply want to expose in presets in Substance Player.

Please advise on how to go about this?  I see that the colors are limited to 20, and read on this forum that I can combine them or go into functions to get more.  I prefer to simply combine for now to get all 43 colors in Substance Player presets.

If this can work as I can see the slider does go through the colors, I would like to take this route and need steps on how to go about it?

Please advise,

Thanks!

Hi Luca,

Update-The multi-color-switch is working in the substance player with a drop down lists - thanks to a video on Youtube!

Questions are now by using the multi-switch-color, will I be able to have 43 colors switch Combining (2) multi-switch-color nodes, Or do I have to go into functions to get more number slots beyond 20?  I wish the program could simply add these when you need more numbers.  Now I am wondering, if the program will slow down a lot when I try to use this powerful feature to swap (43) singular uniform colors?

P73 laptop
windows 10
quadro 5000 rtx

Please advise,

Best!
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 04:52:30 pm

Hello @bluicat,

The Multi-switch approach would result in the entire array of Uniform color nodes being evaluated each time the color selection is changed.

If you intend to use presets for color selection, you may use a single Uniform color node which Output color property is exposed, and use graph presets to switch between colors – see example in attached video.
This way, you can easily add a many colors as needed.

Would that be a usable solution for you?

Best regards,
Luca
Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:53:34 pm
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hi Luca,

I finished the (45) grout presets recently and the hardest part of getting the color presets that have rgb values from the manufacture was saving them in the preset dialogue box.  It seems that when you go to new preset the program gives you a copy of the previous one and only till you change the rgb values and check off the correct name do you have the Option To UPDATE - and hence there is your manufacture preset grout color Saved.  The other downfall I had was exporting as an .sbsar and bringing back in - that did not yield anything.  The final way that worked was to copy paste the graph and drag into my boiler template and yay it worked!

It would be nice if there were step by step example videos on how to do these sort of things for the architectural interior design community that deal with real world manufacture's products.  Setting up templates and creating materials separately to be plugged in somehow in a logical way into the boiler template not needing color ids.  Maybe a special mesh tile object, in the library where the background stays as the background and foreground as foreground and you could create your textures and colors and plug in to those areas only not needing to worry about gray values overlapping and changing requiring masking in background and foreground? The shapes would have their own plugin for the foreground or background. 

Speaking of logical points to input separate graphs:
The (1) issue now just posted as a separate question is the grout is going into the bevel of my tile, and I need to adjust opacity depending upon color of grout to get the bevel back and the grout texture back. If using gray values as a constant for height information blending into the foreground and background etc..., then how do you create a template where you do not need to adjust the opacity when the color of grout changes from light to dark?

If there is some way to go about this in a better more efficient way?

Please Advise,

Thanks again for the response and video, although I was looking for a more in depth example of how to use the multi-switch in the graph as seen in attached after watching many videos and luckily coming across ones that showed me the way!

Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:02:56 pm