Author Topic: Publish from Substance Designer to Painter is Broken  (Read 135 times)

As you can see in this video:
Publishing anything from Substance Designer to Painter which generates straight sharp edges is broken for me.
I've included the .sbs file, so that you can publish the SBSAR file to Painter and see how it breaks there.

Please let me know how to fix this issue!
I'm assuming it may have something to do with an output setting, currently they're all at default.

I'm using Substance Painter 2020.2.2.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us, and kindly providing a helpful SBS file!

These results may be caused by slight computational differences between the SSE2 (CPU) and Direct3D/OpenGL (GPU) versions of the Substance engine. Please note the GPU version is used by default in Substance Designer, whereas the CPU version is used in Substance Painter.

I suggest taking the following steps:
  • In Substance Designer, press the F9 key or select the Switch engines... option in the Tools menu to open the Switch engines window, then select the SSE2 engine (CPU) and click OK
  • Render your graph again, and check for any inconsistencies. Tweak the graph as necessary if outputs are noticeably impacted
  • Make sure the graph's Output size property is set to the Relative to parent method of inheritance – this is very important to work with SBSAR files in Substance Painter. Learn more here and here
  • Publish an SBSAR file for the current package and check again its behaviour in Substance Painter
Feel free to let me know the results, I appreciate your patience!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

As expected, this did not resolve the issue.
Switching to SSE2 in Substance Designer only moves a few pixels slightly. Nothing related to the issue.
Changing the graph resolution to relative to parent just increases the resolution to the texture set resolution.
The behavior is exactly the same. I've included a screenshot to show what I mean.

Please test the .SBS file I provided and try to find a way for the specific red-framed nodes to give correct outputs in Substance Painter. I've already spent dozens of hours trying to fix this, especially with the edge detect node, so I think it's unlikely I would find a solution on my own at this point.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your results!

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us, and kindly providing a helpful SBS file!

These results may be caused by slight computational differences between the SSE2 (CPU) and Direct3D/OpenGL (GPU) versions of the Substance engine. Please note the GPU version is used by default in Substance Designer, whereas the CPU version is used in Substance Painter.

I suggest taking the following steps:
  • In Substance Designer, press the F9 key or select the Switch engines... option in the Tools menu to open the Switch engines window, then select the SSE2 engine (CPU) and click OK
  • Render your graph again, and check for any inconsistencies. Tweak the graph as necessary if outputs are noticeably impacted
  • Make sure the graph's Output size property is set to the Relative to parent method of inheritance – this is very important to work with SBSAR files in Substance Painter. Learn more here and here
  • Publish an SBSAR file for the current package and check again its behaviour in Substance Painter
Feel free to let me know the results, I appreciate your patience!

Best regards,
Luca

Hello,

Thank you for following up on this issue.

I confirm being unable to reproduce this behaviour using your SBS file and the exact steps demonstrated in the video you kindly provided. I made sure to use the same versions of Substance Designer (10.2.2) and Substance Painter (6.2.2).

Please update your graphics drivers (links: Nvidia, AMD, Intel) to the latest version matching your system's GPU, and try to reproduce the problem.
If this issue persists, please send me the log file for Substance Designer. This is its default location on Windows:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\log.txt

Feel free to send me the log file in a direct message if you prefer not to disclose it publicly – it includes system information such as hardware and paths.

I appreciate your patience!
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team