Author Topic: Baking and Irregular Artifacts in Painter  (Read 298 times)

Hello,

I am working with Painter and while initially Baking my textures, I have gotten a couple of spots that have artifacts.

I have checked my Original Mesh (Blender) and my Normals are fine, and my mesh is consistent. Would anyone have any insight as to why these artifacts are showing up?

I am using Blender (v2.83).

My baking settings are:
- 2k resolution
- Mesh Maps:
       - World Space Normal
       - ID
       - Ambient Occlusion
       - Curvature
       - Position
- Substance Painter Version: 2021.1 (7.1.1)
Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:43:02 am

If you can share the high and low I'll take a look.

What file type should I share my Mesh as? I have tried both my Blend File and FBX, but those are too large for the forum it seems.

I only have a high poly version, I do not have a low poly version, though I have eliminated most extra faces.

Then make sure you're only dealing with tris when you import into Painter. Double check your UVs for overlapping. If you're using Blender make sure you apply modifiers prior to uv unwrapping.

Use tris? I thought that when you created UVs, you keep everything in quads?
Is this just specific to using Painter?

The triangulation part has nothing to do with UVs. If someone is telling you to keep all meshes in Quads post-work then they're putting out a static rule which doesn't hold true. There is a reason for this and it has to do with consistency from application to application. It is much more important when baking high to low as well as you wont see the problem as close on a denser mesh. Also, n-gons are a problem in Painter which is why and I had zero idea of your topology.

This issue can easily be solved if you upload your mesh or .blend file some where.

Here is a google Drive link. Sorry I did not think of this before.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Kb9zgRxL7bXdcBDl0WS4-znDhdWUPJjw?usp=sharing

If you look at the piece below you'll see they're n-gons, not quads and you'll want to convert to tris. Also the UV map shows you have overlapping.

Same with the piece below:

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.