Author Topic: Material ID's don't work when using substance link in UE4?  (Read 573 times)

Hey there everyone. I have been having a rough time with the Substance link in UE4. I am making a game and I have started using Material ids for ease of texturing to save space. I ran into an issue where when I would make an object and assign it the IDs and sent it to UE4 and used the substance live to link the IDs would fail to bake... BUT if I skipped the link and just sent the object straight to Substance the ID's worked.

Workflow:

1. Create a 3D object in Blender.
2. Material ID the object.
3. Export the object to UE4
4. Use the Substance to link to open the FBX into Substance
5. Bake the ID's and normals ... etc.
6. Get a message that tells me the ID's didn't bake.

Work Flow 2:

1. Create a 3D object in Blender.
2. Material ID the object.
3. Export the object to Substance
4. Bake the ID's and normals ... etc.
5. Texture and export textures.
6. Import textures and attach them to nodes.

I did some research and found a forum that was similar but the person who replied said the IDs don't work from UE4 Link? If that's the case then I find that to be a pretty big design flaw. What I love about the link is the ability to rapidly prototype and edit objects on the fly whereas the other way is a long process in the grand scheme of things. Especially when you're dealing with large levels and lots of architecture that can benefit from ids and the ability to go in and out of the link and make quick changes. It's also less expensive to use ID's instead of Material Slots. UE4 is now calling each material slot rather than just 1.

Has this been fixed at all? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to a response.