Author Topic: sbsar file to UE4 texture issue  (Read 191 times)

When I import my sbsar file into UE4, the textures are missing information from all of my outputs. I followed along with the "Aged Wood Planks" tutorial and the data from the nails seems to be missing from each texture. If I export my outputs as standard bitmaps then they appear completely fine, it is only in UE4 where I am getting an issue.

Hello @ethompson,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

This problem is likely caused by the slight computational differences between the GPU and CPU versions of the Substance engine.

Substance Designer will use the GPU version (Direct3D or OpenGL) by default whereas the Substance in Unreal engine plugin uses the CPU version (SSE2) by default.
These computational differences can result in inconsistencies in the outputs of graphs, which are more or less severe depending on the graph.

You can follow one of these courses of action:
  • In the Substance in Unreal engine plugin preferences, switch to the GPU engine
  • In Substance Designer, switch to the CPU engine and make the necessary adjustments in the graph to restore the expected outputs – this can be the better approach if you intend to use your published SBSAR files in multiple third party software using our plugins, as not all support the GPU engine
I hope this is helpful!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hi Luca,

Thank you for your reply! I tried changing to the GPU engine in UE4 and that didn't work. Please can you show me where to change to the CPU engine in Designer as I can't seem to find where that is?

It is odd as exporting the outputs as bitmaps gives me all the texture information, it is only when publishing as an .sbsar where the nail information goes missing which again seems odd as all the information is there when I import that into Substance Player.

Many thanks,
Ewan

Hello @ethompson,

Thank you for following up on this issue, with helpful additional details.

To switch engines in Substance Designer, you may press the F9 key or select the Switch engines... option in the Tools menu.
Feel free to let me know the results!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team