Author Topic: Sell 3D models that use Substance Source Materials (exported textures only)  (Read 576 times)

Hello!

Is it legally okay to offer an asset pack of 3D models in the Unity Asset Store that uses textures that come from Substance Source (bought with Asset Points)?

I have read some posts from the past and unfortunately I am not sure yet.

I plan to create a package with multiple prefabs. My workflow for a single prefab of the pack:

1. Create own model in Blender
2. Unwrap UVs of this model
3. Open finished model in Substance Painter
4. Apply the materials I bought in Substance Source with my Asset Points (sometimes without adjusting the available parameters)
5. Export texture set (base, height, metallic, normal, roughness)
6. Create PBR material in Unity (Unity Standard Shader) with the exported textures and apply it to my model

I do NOT offer Substance Materials (.sbsar) files. I only offer my models with the exported texture sets. I only use the Unity Standard Shader - no Substance Integration.

How complicated does a model have to be to be able to sell it with the exported texture sets? I have often read that you should not offer simple planes. However, I do not intend to do this.

Can I do it that way? Or are there legal problems here?

Many thanks in advance!

As long as the material is applied on an object in Painter, and thus becomes unusable as a simple tileable material, you're in the clear.

As long as the material is applied on an object in Painter, and thus becomes unusable as a simple tileable material, you're in the clear.
Thank you for the quick clarification :)

So if i am selling 3d building that has applied material on uv maps of the building, for example floor (floor is plane/cube), and if i exported this textures as pbr and imported them in blender and than i baked it (with shadows and lights) than got one final texture, is that ok too?

Yes.

Ok, also for substance source materials? Also what does mean i should not offer planes? Does that mean if i make for example road kit (3d road objects with substance materials applied and baked on uv maps), that i offered planes?

The general rule is that it's ok if the material was made unique in some way, either with lightmap baked in, or mapped to specific UVs, but for example you can't ship the tileable material as is along with road models.

If this material (from substance source) is applied and baked in painter on uv maps and than exported as pbr textures in blender and baked inside blender with lightning and shadows? and than exported as single texture (texture on which all is baked) and sold together with model?

That would work yes.