Author Topic: Does using the Alchemist Filter Template lose flexibility for exporting to UE4?  (Read 890 times)

Hello,

The goal is to use my substance designer exported sbsar files in Alchemist, 3ds Max, and UE4.  I noticed after exporting a sbsar file into Alchemist the layers did not carry over. After drilling through threads, I read that there is an Alchemist filter template - so now I am wondering if using the Alchemist filter for templates in SD, if the exported sbsar files are also good in UE4 and 3ds Max?

After creating an Alchemist template .sbs file for publishing sbsar to import into Alchemist, what is the method? Is it the same as importing a bitmap into Alchemist?  Are there any tutorials Specific to the using the alchemist template in SD and importing into Alchemist?

By any chance is there a way to convert existing metal rough .sbs files into the Alchemist filter template?
Otherwise all of my original.sbsar files that were created in the metal rough templates are useless in Alchemist - other than extracting the maps for custom use.

Thanks in advance!
Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:26:04 pm

Hello @bluicat,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

The Alchemist filter template in Substance Designer is only preconfigured with inputs, outputs and a specific value in the User data property of the graph, so it is recognised as a filter in Substance Alchemist.
To use custom filters in Substance Alchemist, you may refer to this page of the software's documentation.

Regarding using SBSAR created using the Alchemist filter template in 3ds Max and Unreal engine with the corresponding Substance integrations (i.e. plugins), please note the template includes image inputs which may need specific actions in the target software to be used properly. See for instance this page about using Substance image inputs in Unreal engine.

Other than that particular precaution, you can use the SBSAR published from these graphs in other software.

I hope this is helpful!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team