Author Topic: Baking never works  (Read 212 times)

Hello everyone,

i tried to bake a high to a low poly mesh multiple times with different objects but it never worked. So i´m trying to locate the error.

For the most recent object this was my workflow:
I modled a trident inside Blender than used a subdivision modifier to make it look more smooth. I dublicated the object the one with sub division is going to be the the high mesh and the other one the low poly.
I aplied all modifiers inside blender and than exported as fbx. I made a 3rd mesh with an aplied solidify modifier as cage.

In Substance i only wanted to bake the normal and ao map on my low poly. And like always it looks totaly messed up.
The lowpoly mesh has also proper uv.

Any suggestions for the complete process and can be some failures.

All Meshes are attatched

Hello everyone,

i tried to bake a high to a low poly mesh multiple times with different objects but it never worked. So i´m trying to locate the error.

For the most recent object this was my workflow:
I modled a trident inside Blender than used a subdivision modifier to make it look more smooth. I dublicated the object the one with sub division is going to be the the high mesh and the other one the low poly.
I aplied all modifiers inside blender and than exported as fbx. I made a 3rd mesh with an aplied solidify modifier as cage.

In Substance i only wanted to bake the normal and ao map on my low poly. And like always it looks totaly messed up.
The lowpoly mesh has also proper uv.

Any suggestions for the complete process and can be some failures.

All Meshes are attatched

I tossed it in Maya, and noticed you have a lot of floating verts, normal issues and much more. Be sure to clean up the mesh. Two thing I noticed be sure to reset your position, zero everything out. This way everything lines up.  Third thing, I noticed artifacts all over your high poly model. Be sure to clean that up. Render it you will see it on the High poly.. Your edges are going to cause it as well on the HI-POLY.  Those are a few things I seen, after about 2 mins . So, there may be more, but I don't have much more time to spend on it. SO start there.

You also have holes on the HIGH poly mesh...See image.. cap those off.
Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 05:02:27 pm