Author Topic: I don't know if this is a bug? Using the Alchemist template the cube is missing?  (Read 868 times)

Hello,

When using the Alchemist template in SD, the 3d view cube disappears when selecting metallic roughness tessellation under material edit.  It does show up in other selections and some of them the cube becomes transparent.

Please advise if I need to set the default material edit to something special when using the Alchemist template filter in SD.

In addition, I use direct x and the render engine by default is opengl, won't this mix stuff up when I go to export maps to 3ds max?

Thanks!

Hello @bluicat,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

The mesh in the 3D View becomes invisible because the Alchemist filter template is set up with Input nodes with a default value of 0 or (0, 0, 0, 0) connected directly to Output nodes.
This means that some outputs such as Opacity and Ambient Occlusion have a value of 0 by default, which makes the mesh appear black and entirely transparent.

Default values other than 0 for Input nodes is a feature exclusive to the Substance engine v8, and this template was set up for the best compatibility. That being said, I can suggest the following courses of action:
  • Use a non-0 default value for the Input nodes – again, this is only supported by Substance engine v8
  • Use a bitmap resource as a preview input in the Input nodes. To do this, you can drag and drop a bitmap resource from the Explorer panel to the Input node
  • Put aside the Input nodes, and use placeholder nodes while working on the graph. Reconnect the Input nodes when finished
Regarding the Normal format, you can set it to the one matching your workflow in the General tab of the Project settings for your current project. These settings are located in the Projects section of the Preferences window.
The default Normal format used in the 3D View and nodes using the this property (e.g. Normal, Bevel, etc.) will inherit the value set in the Project settings.

To change it manually in the 3D view, open the Materials menu, then select the Edit option under the Default submenu to display this material's properties, and change the DirectX normal option.

I hope this is helpful!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hello Luca,

Thank you for that clarification.  I also noticed if I reset to common parameters in the material editor the cube shows up also.

Now that there are a few workarounds for the invisible cube in the Alchemist template, is this the recommended workflow for importing .sbsars from SD into Alchemist?

Do the other templates in SD not work well when publishing .sbsars to be brought into Alchemist?

Please advise,

Thanks!