Author Topic: Applying Subsurf Modifiers Before Baking  (Read 272 times)

The title pretty much sums it up, do I have to apply the subsurfs for the high poly model before baking or it doesn't matter?

You want your high poly mesh to be in its final state prior to baking. If you don't apply your sub-surf modifier why not just remove it all together if you're not using it?
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Painter can't import or read a subsurf modifier. Modifiers like that are native to your 3D modeling application only.

You need to freeze it/ convert to actual geometry before loading it into Painter.
Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:56:48 pm

You want your high poly mesh to be in its final state prior to baking. If you don't apply your sub-surf modifier why not just remove it all together if you're not using it?

It's good practice to not apply subsurfs for as long as possible in case you want to change them at a later date, you can still "see" the subsurf in Blender (and adjust it or texture), until you apply it. I just wasn't sure if Substance would read them or not.

When you export your High Poly you have an option to apply modifiers on export if you check the options.

Both OBJ and FBX have this option under Geometry.

As per volker, you need to handle this all prior to Painter.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)