Author Topic: Optimization with 2k resolution maps  (Read 577 times)

Hi,

I am using sbsar files with 2k resolution for maps in untiy3d. The number of sbsar files loaded in a scene will vary. There can be chances that 8 to 10 sbsar files are loaded in scene simultaneously. I want to achieve below things -

1. I want to optimize the use of substance in unity3d so that application can run without any issues. Currently with 2k textures, whenever I change any values of sbsar file (eg. normal intensity), it takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the effect and also a lot of cpu power. In some cases the application freezes and crash.

2. I have to bake the maps for all sbsar files in a folder by running a loop that goes through all textures of all graphs at runtime once all the tweaking is done. This process is taking a lot of cpu power and memory. I want to optimize this process. I have checked the substance in unity api but have no clue how I can optimize it using 2k textures.

Please suggest and help me to optimize it.

Hi,

I am using sbsar files with 2k resolution for maps in untiy3d. The number of sbsar files loaded in a scene will vary. There can be chances that 8 to 10 sbsar files are loaded in scene simultaneously. I want to achieve below things -

1. I want to optimize the use of substance in unity3d so that application can run without any issues. Currently with 2k textures, whenever I change any values of sbsar file (eg. normal intensity), it takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the effect and also a lot of cpu power. In some cases the application freezes and crash.

2. I have to bake the maps for all sbsar files in a folder by running a loop that goes through all textures of all graphs at runtime once all the tweaking is done. This process is taking a lot of cpu power and memory. I want to optimize this process. I have checked the substance in unity api but have no clue how I can optimize it using 2k textures.

Please suggest and help me to optimize it.

Hello @gagan25
What platform are you using Windows/Mac and what version of the OS?
What is your CPU/GPU RAM configuration?
What version of Unity and Substance Plugin are you using?
Which framework are you using? Standard, URP or HDRP?
Are you using SBSARs from Substance Source website if yes can you give the name of those SBSARs?
Do you have the problem with 2k textures only? What happens if you switch to 1k or 512? Does the problem go away.
Thx,