Author Topic: Need help with Tutorial...  (Read 1084 times)

02 - Baking maps used in the texturing process
https://youtu.be/QJQBaXDKn4w

I'm trying to follow along with the tutorial on Youtube using a OBJ I made from Marvelous Designer. But it's not working. I'm using Substance Painter 2021.

I tried to bake all the faces like in the video but it's not working out the same. Only one face seems to work out correctly all the other are messed up.

#masin #marvelousdesigner #tutorialhelp #Substancepainter
Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:57:41 am

Is there a reason why you created multiple TextureSets for that object?

Post a screenshot of your UV layout please.

Is there a reason why you created multiple TextureSets for that object?

Post a screenshot of your UV layout please.

I'm a beginner so I'm not really sure what you mean (Still a beginner, only watched Tutorial 1 and 2)? I used Marvelous Designer to create the OBJ. Each section was put together in parts. I'm a beginner in Marvelous designer also, so I know nothing really about applying textures in that program nor do I know anything in Substance Painter.

I wanted the option to apply textures on parts of the dress without having to edit one whole texture image when I use it in programs like Daz Studio. An example would be if I wanted a gold trim but I don't want to edit the gold trim in a photoshop image that's mashed together with other parts of the dress texture (That's just an example I know my dress doesn't have a trim).

I can texture this in Daz Studio with basic texturing but I wanted to try an apply more precise designs.

I'm trying to follow the tutorial but that's what happens when I do. I don't know why one part gets the bake and the other are turning out like that?

How do I post my UV layout? Where do I find that?
Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:42:57 am

Well, you first need to learn the basics of the texturing workflows, I can't give you a full size tutorial on everything here.

You have 5 different TextureSets in Painter for that single piece of clothing, which probably doesn't make sense, unless you need extremely high texel density/ texture resolution. You probably only want a single TextureSet for that piece shown on your screenshot, or at least import it so you are able to paint across UDIM tiles. Right now, you would have to texture each TextureSet separately, without the possibility to paint across the borders of each set, which probably isn't what you want.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, and don't know what UDIMs are and even what a UV layout is, you need to go way back before even importing your object into Painter, because setting up the object correctly before importing it is essential.

To start, post your UV layout as it is right now in Substance Painter. Go to the '2D only' viewport, activate wireframe display, take a screenshot, and post it here.

Or, if you want/ can, post the OBJ file so I can take a look at it directly.
Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:02:54 am

Yeah I'm trying to learn the program. I'm only up to the Tutorial video 2

02 - Baking maps used in the texturing process
https://youtu.be/QJQBaXDKn4w

I'm also very new to Marvelous Designer also. I could learn to texture in Marvelous Designer but the program is so limited, which is why I wanted to learn Substance Painter.

I'm attaching the OBJ and a link to my Substance Painter file (it's to big to add here).
https://workupload.com/file/5s5Wwgx2YcY

Thanks for the help.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I would suggest keeping things as simple as possible when you're learning. If there are any terms that confused you in the prior replies it is a good idea to and research them to understand what is being said.

Your issue has to do with your UVs. When you export from MD you still should double check your UVs and make sure they're correct. Every texture has the UVs outside of the 0-1 space aside from one which is half way in.

I would also look into UDIMs.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

I would suggest keeping things as simple as possible when you're learning. If there are any terms that confused you in the prior replies it is a good idea to and research them to understand what is being said.

Your issue has to do with your UVs. When you export from MD you still should double check your UVs and make sure they're correct. Every texture has the UVs outside of the 0-1 space aside from one which is half way in.

I would also look into UDIMs.

Thank you for your help. Do you have any YouTube videos you recommend? I don't know what's UDIM. Is there a place I can start to learn about it? Is it a program or something? I'm currently going over the Substance Painter tutorial but it seems I have to start somewhere else first.

Also I have to make the UVs in Marvelous Designer? I thought I could have done all of that in Substance Painter? That's why I wanted to learn the program because I wanted more control over my Texture maps.

I wouldn't use Substance Painter to auto generate UVs, especially for clothing patterns. MD gives you very nice UV shells to work with from your 2D patterns, otherwise you could do better manually.

UDIMs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmuHLe6MjEA

This is only suggested if you're looking for more texel density, otherwise just pack your UVs into tile 1001 as per my red arrows before.

Texel Density: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e6zvJqVqlA

You also need to be using a 3D program like Maya, MAX, Blender, or something else.

Thanks for the help. I'll go look into the information you provided.

This is a follow up...

I found this tutorial for Marvelous to Substance Painter UDIM Workflow:

I followed along with it to setup my mapping, but when I tried to export it to Substance painter I get this problem:

First my layers are all separated instead of grouped like the tutorial and in the viewport the textures only appear when I click on each layer. Can anyone tell me why it's doing that?

I'm using Substance Painter 2021.1.0 and Marvelous Designer 10.

PS: I tried contacting the youtuber but he's not responding and I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in Marvelous Designer or here...

You'll need to remove the MAT IDs from each section otherwise Painter splits per MAT ID into their own texture sets. Just keep a single MAT ID that matches everything.

You'll need to remove the MAT IDs from each section otherwise Painter splits per MAT ID into their own texture sets. Just keep a single MAT ID that matches everything.

Thanks for replying. I tried contacting the video author and posting to the Marvelous Designer forums but I haven't received any responses. Do anyone know how to do that in MD? Or is that any way to do it in Substance Painter?

Just load the meshes in whatever 3D software you use, ie. Maya, Max, or Blender.

Just load the meshes in whatever 3D software you use, ie. Maya, Max, or Blender.

:/ damn, now I need to learn blender...