Author Topic: Confused about which channels  (Read 130 times)

So i've got a question about whether i putting brick generator and grunge leaks in the right channel in substance painter. I have the brick generator in the height channel and the grune in the normal channel. When i export the textures into maya it seems a bit flat to me. Should i have one of these in the color channel ? In maya doesn't the geometry only accept either a normal or height?

If you're using Maya and rendering say in VRAY you can of course use a normal map then use a height map for some displacement, or to push things a bit more. This actually common for film to use both. For game assets I normally use normal maps only, but render pieces can be whatever you need.