Author Topic: TGA Grayscale  (Read 215 times)

Hello  :D

Grayscale .tga maps export as indexed color and it seems there's no way to change that in the parameters.
I'm working with an engine that won't take them as input, and the only solution is to transform them in photoshop or use a different format like .png. Obviously it gets tedious when working with a large amount of textures (among other things).

I know it's a known issue, but is there plans to fix it ?

Thanks in advance

It's likely because you are exporting grayscale channels (like Roughness) as grayscale images so they end-up indexed. You need to create a custom export preset/output template and make sure you put your grayscale channels in the R, G and B of the output texture to get a regular color image. See: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/creating-export-presets-98959398.html
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Hello Froyok,

It's likely because you are exporting grayscale channels (like Roughness) as grayscale images so they end-up indexed. You need to create a custom export preset/output template
I'm trying to export the BaseColor channel as Grayscale through a custom grayscale export preset. The logic behind it getting indexed in the process isn't so obvious to me though.

to get a regular color image
What I'm trying to achieve is specified in the first message, it's not an RGB output. I should have stated it as well but it's for real time application so this solution doesn't fit optimization wise.

Edit : after reading again that was maybe unclear : I'm looking for exporting .tga grayscale maps
Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:08:52 pm

Make an new template, click GRAY, drag and drop BaseColor over it and select GRAY. Is this what you're looking for?

@CAGameDEV That's what I'm doing. I wanna know if there is/will be a way to export "true" grayscale .tga maps. Designer does it afaik so what about Painter.