Author Topic: Substance Painter Slows Significantly After a While  (Read 368 times)

I am working on a large object, 13 meters long and about 0.8 meters in diameter, in Maya. There are 24 UV tiles. I import the FBX from Maya using the 'Preserve UV tile layout per material....' option checked. Thus, I have one texture set with the 24 tiles after import.

As I create materials, working four tiles at a time, the responsiveness of SP slows significantly. The memory usage goes way up. I have seen as high as 60+ GB. Shutting down and restarting SP restores good responsiveness, for a while.

Any ideas what might be going on? Clearly there is a buildup of memory but is that necessary? Should there be some scavenging going on? I am on MacOX Big Sur 11.3 beta.

System:

MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2018
2.9 GHz 6-core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Internal Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
Two external GPUs; Radeon Pro WX 9100, and Radeno RX Vega 56

Thanks,
Greg

Unfortunately your GPU is on the low end side and it is expected that working on a large project in Painter would be slow, especially UV Tiles where the texture data needs to be streamed in memory at all time..

Thanks Jeremie!

I notice the SP doesn't really use the GPUs very much. Sometimes maybe around 40% of the internal GPU and sometimes a few percent of the external GPUs. If the slowness was because of GPU capacity shouldn't I expect to see higher utilization?

Also, SP fails to come up properly if 'Prefer External GPU' option is checked in the 'Get Info' dialog. The splash screen shows but the main window is transparent. Only the frame around the window shows up.

Should SP more fully utilize the GPUs, both internal and external?

Thanks,
Greg